Julie--We do not charge fines but students are held accontable for their
books.  After three weeks of overdue notices, the student is given an
exclusion notice which means they may not use the library on their own
until they return or pay for the book.  If their teacher schedules their
class into the library then they may of course come in with the class.

The asistant principal and I speak to these students, send a mutually
signed leter home, etc.etc.  to encourage return of the book.  I even have
a list of places to look for lost books as based on many years of past
student success in finding books!  Classroom teachers, especially the
homeroom teachers assist us in this year round.  This is the system I have
used for over 20 years.  I know many will find it too tough.  It does not
deny access just severely limits access for the offending student.  I
firmly believe that students are better served by strong limits than by
the "kids will be kids" attitude.

carolan@ids.net
LM_NET IS A JOY!

LM_NET Archive Home