Last year I sent a message to the lm_net about promotional ideas and asking
for ideas.  I am at the high school level but feel that ideas can certainly
be adapted for all levels.  At the time we had a display of 3-d pictures
and were preparing for using the list of how to say "I love you" in many
languages. We also had a great display from the local miniature club.
( I am having trouble editing this and so will try to get in all of the
ideas that were sent.

  Well....I hope that you believe in "better late than never" because
finally here they are!  Hopefully they will be helpful in planning for the
new year.  Thank you to all who sent responses!  I have tried to identify
the source but my editing isn't the best.

If you have other ideas (and I know that THIS creative group has many!)
please send them to me and I will post again (soon this time :)

This is longer than I thought...there will be a part two following.
Katie Bailey   Seabreeze High School   Daytona Beach, FL
Katie,
I found your message very interesting. Thanks for some good
ideas. My high school library has a bulletin board and large
hall display case. I try to change these very often.
I also invest a little of my own money from time to time! When
people notice my efforts I feel the PR is well worth it.
For the bulletin board I use old calendars.  I've found a bookstore
that sells them at fantastic reductions toward the end of the
summer. The list of subjects is endless --just depends on the
leftovers that year. I also use materials purchased from ALA
Graphics catalogs & those I am able to take from my supplies
budget.
The display case is a little more difficult, but after a few
years of stopping at garage sales, going to flea markets, etc. I
have quite a good collection of realia, mostly related to countries
my students study in Global Studies classes --India, Japan, Africa.
I use fabric remnants for background and pull books with attractive
covers for the displays.  In addition to the countries I do the
traditional things --holidays, animals, music, almost anything
I've been able to collect. If any faculty member or student
communicates an interest, I try to do something with the topic.
This month I've turned over the case to a Spanish teacher who
will do the display as a project with students.
Didn't mean to make this so long, but it is also a favorite subject
of mine!
Sue Norkeliunas
LMS, Arlington High School
LaGrangeville, NY 12538          jzfn@maristb.marist.edu
FAX 914-454-19\
Hi Katie, I am trying to get the newsgroups to work.  I have done a library
dispaly this month on library etiquette, "Library etiquette-a quiet place to
read, relax and research." Using eductional books such as Cultural Literacy,
Closing of the Am. Mind, The Little Red school house, Every thing every 17
year old needs to know etc.  I hope this gets to you. I have been having
problems sending responses.  So I will not elaborate.  Please let me know if
you get my comments. Thanks Judith DAhill, High School Librarain.
Betty - I've used two reading "promotionals" successfully in my H. S.
library.  One is the California Young Reader Medal Program, a wonderful
program sponsered by CMLEA, Cal. Reading Asso., Ca. Asso. of Tchrs. of
English, and CLA.  Books are nominated each year by teachers & students
and then students read and vote on their favorite books.  Upwards of half
a million kids in CA participate.  My take on this was to invite teachers
to have their classes read the books; then I sponsored a multimedia
contest in the media center.  I went to classes, booktalked the books,
and introduced the contest.  When kids finished reading, they produced a
project depicting a theme, a character, or whatever, in some medium:
painting, sculpture, mobile, video, etc.  Prizes, many donated by local
merchants, were gift certificates to book stores, and other goodies.
Teachers, board members, administrators were judges; a big awards
celebration concluded the event.  Result:  Kids were turned on to good YA
lit. (There are 4 categories: Primary, Intermediate, Jr. Hi., YA.)  The
authors of the winning books are awarded recognition at the annual
convention of the sponsoring organizations. If you don't have a similar
statewide program, why not do a small scale program of your own?

Second project:  I staged a spring book fair, scheduled classes in, etc.
Profits (monetary) weren't huge, but profits (intangible) were great.  In
conjunction w/the book fair, I had at least one author, usually quite
well-known (lucky me--several live in the area and are willing):
Theodore Taylor, etc.  Kids really respond to their presentations. It's a
big turn-on.  One year I was also able to invite a poetry performance
group whose act went over really well and who provided a staff training
session as well.

Now that the district has cut librarians (we each have two schools to
run), it's pretty difficult to do these things anymore, although at one
school the reading teacher does the book fair.

If you want more info.on the Young Reader Medal or whatever, email me a
message.  Happy to respond.

Rachel Carlson - Huntington Beach (CA) U.H.S.D.
rcarlso@eis.calstate.edu
From:  bewley
This is the first year I have had any room for displays. Our first was on Light
houses. While at Chincoteague this summer I bought a lighthouse model. That plu
s several pictures and lighthouse books were a simple display that brought a lo
t of discussion. In Central New York there are not any lighthouses so many kids
 have never seen one, except on TV. Also found a elem reference book that showe
d the interior...so left that open on a stand. Also have a Peter Rabbit display
all the time...it changes with the calendar each month. We have shells on displ
ay now that can be touched and sorted. It hasn't been a terrific success. Thank
s for your suggestions. This is a good idea.
Part II coming soon. :)
Katie

LM_NET Archive Home