Well this is the last of it ... and a good thing because I am having such a
hard time putting them together!!!  (When I grow up I will be better with
this crazy editor!!! :)
Thanks again for the ideas you sent....so long ago :)   I'd love to hear
more!
Katie Bailey   baileyk@mail.firn.edu
Dear Katie,
     I love your "I love you" idea.  Can you post a list of how to
say I love you in the different languages?  (Shades of the "Welcome"
discussion going on right now!)  And maybe you could post a compilation
of the responses you get!  If not, could you forward them to me?  I'm
always looking for fresh ideas.   One problem/blessing I have is a
lack of display room.  I have no display windows, no bulletin boards,
and very minimal wall space.  My library is semi-circular, with windows
making up the entire curved space.  The one flat wall is either broken
up with doors (entrance/exit, my office, workroom, copier room) or
covered with bookshelves.
     Last year for Valentine's Day, I bought a package of red doily
hearts.  I begged 5 minutes of a faculty meeting to get all faculty
to write the titles of their all-time favorite books on the front.  I
got everything from Dickens to Dr. Seuss, and I kept track of who
selected each title.  I made a banner to hang in the library that said
FALL IN LOVE WITH A GOOD BOOK.  I taped the red hearts all over the
place, and pulled the titles we had for a display.  Then I made up a
matching quiz for the kids to try to complete.  I broke down the
faculty by department to make it easier, and listed each teacher's
name, and the titles chosen by members of that department,  (We have
a staff of 45, and one big list would have been overwhelming.)  Kids
tried to match teachers with their choices.  Entries were submitted to
me and at the end of the week, I randomly picked a winner from correct
entries.  I then wrote the correct teachers' names on the back of the
hearts and left the display up for a few weeks.  Kids continued to
to come back to try to guess which teachers chose certain titles,
especially when they could check their guesses by peeking.  This was
one of my most successful displays, as it REALLY got kids AND TEACHERS
talking about reading!  And the favorite titles disappeared off the
shelves for months.
     At the beginning of the year I do the standard ninth grade
orientation.  But I tell the kids I want to learn a little about them
by finding out what they like to read, and once I find out their
favorites, I try to make sure our collection contains them so other
kids can discover them.  I pick a theme (below) and have the kids
cut something out of construction paper.  They write their name on
one side and the title of their favorite book on the other.  Then I
suspend these works of art from the ceiling, where they flutter for
a month.  Some of the (admittedly corny) ideas I've used (complete
with a Printshop banner) are:  Fall Into A Good Book (red, yellow and
orange leaves); Get Batty about Books (black bats); Don't be a Flake--
READ! (snowflakes).  I provide cardboard templates for the leaves and
bats so the kids can just trace.  While they're busy cutting, they
usually talk about the good books they've read, defending choices and
arguing about picks.    I love it!  Yes, I get a few Dr. Seusses here,
too,but I allow them that freedom.  Most kids try to pick something
they won't mind other kids seeing (and for that reason a few of the
pompous "select" something impressive that can't possibly be a
favorite, but who am I to judge?) The activity gets kids talking about
reading and allows me to learn a little about their habits.  I'm
also quick to share enthusiasm for favorite titles and let them know
that I love Anne Rice and Stephen King, too!
     For foreign language week I capitalized on all those windows and
made flags of different countries by taping colored tissue paper up.
It was really neat when the sun shone brightly; it really changed the
atmosphere.  Each day we focused on a culture by pulling books, having
tapes of music available (with headphones), and some goodies to eat.
Normally I don't allow any food in the library.)  I got posters from
a local travel agent and borrowed pinatas, sombreros, lederhosen,
model Eiffel Towers, etc. from the language department.
     Sorry this is so long, but I get carried away.  This is the FUN
part of the job!   I look forward to hearing what other input you get!
                            Bonnie Fulmer
                            Spackenkill High School
                            Poughkeepsie, NY   12603
                            gbf1@maristb.marist.edu
...more from Bonnie.....arent these Great ideas!!!

Dear Katie,
    Another idea I've unabashedly stolen from somewhere, (maybe ALA?)
is popular during National Banned Books Week.  One of my MLS professors
distributed a 20 page bibliography of books challenged throughout
history, complete with the reasons for the objection.  I pull the books
from our shelves (we have most of them), and I wrap each book in a plain
brown cover that can be slipped off.  I photocopy the objection (without
including the title or author), and tape it to the wrapper.  Kids read
the objection and try to figure out what the book is.  They can easily
check their guess by slipping the cover up and peeking, and they are
invariably outraged.  I think the actual lure is that the kids are
expecting "juicy" titles to examine, and are disgusted when they
discover Little Red Riding Hood (encourages children to drink alcohol
[she had wine in her basket, you know.]) and The Bible.  All the usual
titles are there: Catcher in the Rye, To Kill a Mockingbird, One Flew
Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Huckleberry Finn, Charlie and the Chocolate
Factory, Shel Silverstein, The Good Earth, Lord of the Flies, Go Ask
Alice, Hansel and Gretel (OK, so I bring a few from home to make a
point), and about 100 other titles.

(There was a little more that I lost   <grrr>  but I think you get
the idea.  I want to do this this year!!!  Thanks Bonnie!!!   kb)
Hi Katie,

I'm very new also (on the net & as a librarian) so I really appreciate
your ideas.  In February we are doing Love and War themes, so will have
opposite ends of the library in opposing displays.

This month we are featuring biographies.  I found cheap posters for
incentives, so my teachers are coming up with plans to motivate students to
read biographies in their areas for posters.

I hope you get lots more answers.  I'd love it if you'd summarize and
forward.  Thanks Katie.

Pamela Gibb

Pamela Gibb       2000 College Park Drive       Cooper County R-IV School
LMC Director        Columbia, MO 65203            P.O. Box 110, Hwy J
                       314-445-6481                  816-427-5415
pgibb1@bigcat.missouri.edu

(I like that love and war theme!!!)
Thanks again to you all!
kb