I have been reading LM-NET daily since I discovered it two years
ago while completing my MLS degree at the University of
Pittsburgh.  I was a furloughed Business Ed. teacher at the time,
with 22 years seniority.

I was then "recalled" to teach Computer Applications/Programming.
Thanks to Pitt's emphasis on cutting-edge technology (and
especially thanks to Dr. Chris Tomer, who taught computer
applications, on-line searching, and the INTERNET), I have been
teaching various computer classes and have even managed to get
folks in my area "inspired" about Internet's potential (no school
connection yet, though).

The senior high librarian is now retiring, and I am being
transferred to that position.  The library is not yet automated
(because of my computer background, I'll be expected to do that),
*and* libraries in our district have no clerical help whatsoever.

As a result, I have been using part of my summer "vacation"
trying to get organized.  Everything is crammed full of work left
undone and books left unprocessed (many years worth).  Some
administrators have even commented on the large number of books
gathering dust because they have never been processed.  My response
is that it's a big job for just one person.

The administration seems pleased with my background in technology,
and so far they have been receptive to some of my ideas.  However,
I feel I need more "ammunition" before I can request clerical help.

This brings me to my question.  We have approximately 1200
students in grades 9-12, and the library "staff" consists of 1
full-time librarian--no clerical help.  Is this typical for
schools of this size?  How much part-time or full-time
secretarial/clerical help do you have in your libraries, or are
librarians typically on their own?

If there are enough responses, I will be glad to post the
results.

After 25 years as a classroom teacher, I am looking forward to my
first-year library assignment with both excitement and some
trepidation.  Any suggestions or words of encouragement will be
greatly appreciated.

Please send your responses to me at the following address:

Gloria Duritsa
duritsa@genesis.duq.edu

LM_NET Archive Home