I totally agree with Julie Walker from Texas.  It is absolutely dangerous
for an amendment to be tacked on this bill.  This will leave the doors
wide open for every anti-groups to lobby the representatives and senators
to include antis to every bill pertaining to education.  We need to stop
this immediately.  My two Senators Reid and Bryan both voted for the
amendment.  I am planning to call them on Monday.

Stan@nevada.edu

On Sat, 6 Aug 1994, Julie Walker wrote:

> My morning newspaper carried an article on the Helms/Smith amendment to
> the ESEA bill.  The amendment leaves us much more to worry about than the
> funding for library books or technology.  Whatever your political
> leanings, please take a moment to ponder this language:
>
> "no local education agendy that receives funds under this Act shall
> implement or carry out a program or activity that has either the purpose
> or effect of encouraging or supporting homosexuality as a positive
> lifestyle alternative."
>
> PS to Texas:  Both Gramm and Hutchison voted FOR the amendment as did 61
> of their peers.  There were 36 votes AGAINST.
>
> Have a nice weekend!
>
> Julie A. Walker                         District Media Center
> Director, Library & Media Services      13401 Pond Springs Rd.
> Round Rock ISD                          Austin, TX  78729
> jawalker@tenet.edu                      512-331-6697/512-331-1811 (FAX)

LM_NET Archive Home