Group,

I have questions that I hope you can answer.  I read in our regional
paper yesterday that two campuses in West Texas (two different districts)
are being considered for the Edison Project (Chris Whittle and his education
crew contract with the districts to run the schools, I assume the same way
that transportation and cafeterias and building maintenance are sometimes
contracted out, for a fixed amount of dollars per student -- $4200 in
this case).

My questions:

1.      What are the implications for school librarians?  (In schools
        where such contracts are in place, does the corporation keep school
        libraries open?)

2.      Do campus teachers/administrators/counselors, etc., remain
        employees of the state or do they become corporation employees?

3.      How does contracting with a company affect benefits such as
        retirement, insurance, sick leave, etc.?

4.      If you are a part of a Charter School project, what kinds of
        changes have you seen?

5.      If you are a part of a Charter School project, has it been GOOD
        FOR YOUR STUDENTS?

I don't anticipate that *we* are considering it here, I'm just curious
and like to know something about what is coming down the pike BEFORE very
talented and trained sales people are brought into the picture.  (I tend
to "catch" enthusiasm,  so I want to look at the implications under
calm and non-threatening circumstances.)

Rather than TARGET what could be a rather lengthy uploaded document, may
we discuss the issue online?

Betty
                            bhamilt@tenet.edu
Betty Hamilton, LRS             .----.
Brownfield High School LMC      |    |                Home:
701 Cub Drive, North        ____|*    ~~~~~~.         911 East Oak St.
Brownfield, Texas  79316    \               |         Brownfield, TX 79316
(806) 637-4523               \_/\        . /          (806) 637-4213
                                  \     {
                                    \  }
                                      ~

LM_NET Archive Home