Betty,
I'm afraid I have no first hand experience with the Edison project
schools; however, before this idea was conceived, Whittle was supposed to
build a model school with private donations.  According to an article in
School Library Journal, the staff of this school did NOT include a
librarian.  The school never came to be --- lack of "funding."  Another
article I read (source unknown) indicated that in the new concept (school
management for hire) every student would have a computer in his/her home
and the school would be heavily technology based.  Again, no mention of a
librarian. What disturbs me most, as it does with Channel 1 services, is
that the "corporation" controls all sources and flow of information.  The
implications of this are, I believe, worthy of more than passing concern.

Julie A. Walker                         District Media Center
Director, Library & Media Services      13401 Pond Springs Rd.
Round Rock ISD                          Austin, TX  78729
jawalker@tenet.edu                      512-331-6697/512-331-1811 (FAX)

LM_NET Archive Home