> Our district is expanding one of our high schools and is wrestling with the
> decision of whether to install a traditional science lab (water, gas, etc.)
> or a computer lab & simulation software.
>
> Please reply with any information that may be of value to our decision-making.
>
> Neil Johnson
> District Technology Coordinator
> Eau Claire Area School District
> Eau Claire, WI

     I would vote for a computer lab, equipped with CD-ROM technology and
Internet access (preferably direct access with graphical capabilities).
The software that is available even now for science labs is pretty
good... it will get better. And the availability of science modules and
lessons on the Internet is also going to explode in the next few years.
     The software like the Adam CD-ROM program Inside the Human Body I
mentioned in an earlier article is really fantastic. I have seen other
high school software that can do an excellent job in the science
classroom and lab.

Russell Smith
rssmith@tenet.edu
Educational Technologist