From: zzdrus@acc.wuacc.edu (druse judy)
Subject: Re: College Bound Reading List

Gail,
The Young Adult Library Services Association, a division of ALA, has available
a series of pamphlets entitled Outstanding Books for the College Bound. The
pamphlets cover fiction, nonfiction, the fine arts, biography, and one more
that doesn't come to mind. They can be ordered singly or in bulk by contacting
YALSA at 1-800-545-2433 ext. 4390. Another good source is Books for You
published by the National Council of Teachers of English. Hope this helps.
Judy Druse
Curriculum Resources Center
Washburn University
Topeka, KS
zzdrus@acc.wuacc.edu
From: FBradbur@dpi1.dpi.nc.gov

Try YALSA's (ALA) Best Books for the College Bound.
Frances Bryant Bradburn
Chief Consultant for School Media Programs
North Carolina Department of Public Instruction
301 N. Wilmington St., Education Building
Raleigh, NC  27601-2825
From: "Margaret J. McCormick" <mmccormi@services.dese.state.mo.us>

Best I have found for the frequently asked question:
READING LISTS FR COLLEGE-BOUND STUDENTS - The books most recommended by
America's top colleges
authors:  Doug Estell, Michele L. Satchwell, and Patricia S. Wright
ISBN  0 13 635251 0 paperback   $8.95
I found it at a univrsity bookstore
Dewey = 028.5'35  copyright 1990

Very interesting general information - plus the specfic lists required by
particular colleges and universities.

Good luck.
margaret
mmccormi@services.dese.state.mo.us
M. W. Mccormick, Clayton High School Library,  1 Mark Twain Circle,
Clayton, MO 63105
From: Michele Edwards <uwnet5@u.washington.edu>

The King County Library System in Seattle, Washington produces an
excellent list called "MegaLit" I think.  It is produced on a tri-fold
pamphlet and is loved by my teachers.  Request it from Sue Madden in the
Young Adult Services Department.  I suggest sending a SASE (small manila
envelope).

I can not remember the exact title, perhaps an OPAC search will find
it for you, but I just bought a great book for my  high school which a
list of the recommended books from 100 colleges nation-wide and includes a
compilation of the 100 most often recommended titles.  The title is very
descriptive and I'm sure you will recognize it when you see it.  I
believe the publisher is ARCO and it was bought through Econo-clad.

I would like to hear of any other good titles you come across.

Michele
Michele Edwards <uwnet5@u.washington.edu>
Monroe High School Library
1408 West Main St.
Monroe, WA 98272
Ph: (206)794-3010 ext.178
Fax: (206)794-6533
From: marty/sue rosenzweig <mrosenzw@research1.bryant.edu>

Contact ALA, the Young Adult LIbrary Services Association
publishes a wonderful series of Books for the College Bound lists, that
are periodically updated.  (800) 545-2433
From: LEE D GORDON <lgordon@nevada.edu>

Gail, ALA has some ready-made brochures for the college-bound...one on
fiction, biography, drama, and non-fiction.  They are updated often.
The fiction one now includes Beloved by Toni Morrison and Yellow Raft
on Blue Water by Michael Dorris, as well as some more "classic" titles.
I buy the new updated lists as they come out, keeping the old ones for
my files.
Also, one of my honors English teachers and I compiled a LONG annotated
listing of books that we consider classics.  Her students will be
required to read three this next year.  Let me know if you are
interested.

Lee Gordon           lgordon@nevada.edu
Eldorado HS
1139 N. Linn Ln.
Las Vegas, NV 89110

From: Carol Simpson <csimpson@tenet.edu>

There is a good bibliography called "Books for the College Bound".  I had
it in my library when I was a HS librarian, but I don't have access to
one now.  I think it was an ALA publication.

From: Diane Durbin <dianed@TENET.EDU>

At the recent ALA conference I bought a copy of each brochure available
in the ALA store.  Many of them were reading lists of various types.
These reading lists are always advertised in their promotional materials
and are available for purchase.  Or you can buy camera-ready copy.
However, I really don't have the budget to buy much of this stuff in
bulk.  So I bought one each of everything just so I could look at it and
get ideas for my own use.  As far as book lists go - a number of years
ago the University of Texas published a beautiful high-quality book list
for the college-bound student called an "unrequired" reading list.  I
believe I still have a copy in my file at work (I'm home today), so I
will look on Monday and post it if I still have it.
From: Susan Weiss <sweiss@cks.ssd.k12.wa.us>

ALA has an excellent series of pamphlets for the college bound.  i.e.
fiction for the college bound, biographies forthe college bound, fine
arts, theatre, nonfiction (3) for the college bound.  These latet lists
are multicultural and include women

Sue Weiss
Librarian
Ballard High School
Seattle, WA
From: STEEGEK6028@cobra.uni.edu
Subject: Outstanding books for the college-bound

Gail,
Your message is the first I've replied to on LM_NET.  I'm glad I may have an
answer for you.  I'm a graduate student in library science at the University of
Northern Iowa and today I presented information about YALSA (Young Adult
LIbrary Services Association.  They happen to publish 5 brochures entitled
Oustanding Books for the College Bound.  Fiction, Nonfiction, Biography, Fine
Arts, and Theater.  They are ALA publications.  The number is 1-800-545-2433,
press 7; or FAX 1-312-944-2641.

Karla Steege
From: Dixie Glynn <DG5412%CMSUVMB.bitnet@vm42.cso.uiuc.edu>

I, too, have been interested in a College-Bound Reading List for seniors.
Mine is badly in need of updating.  My present list contains many of the older
"classics" however, most seniors would prefer to read something more modern
with which they can identify.  As I am a librarian as well as an English
teacher, I am interested in adding some good young adult books for the
library, thus I have two reasons for requesting that you please rmail anything
which you might come up with in this regard which I may be able to use.  I
certainly would appreciate this.  Thank you.
                                        Dixie Glynn

LM_NET Archive Home