Well, speaking as a district supervisor, I would more likely tell you to
haul a dump truck up to the back door and start tossing.   In reality,
since this is your first job, and you might like to keep it at least
beyond the fourth day, my advice is this:
        Do not ask for permission to weed; that is your professional
responsibility.   Instead, INFORM your principal of the condition of the
library and your intentions and ask what is the normal method of
disposing of weeded books.
        If, by chance, he/she has a problem with weeding, I'm sure they
will let you know.   However, if you are told not to weed, I would
certainly hope that over the next several years you have an EXTREMELY
high loss rate. (durn kids!).   After all, if they turn up missing in
inventory, it's not really weeding, is it?

Gail Dickinson                             "a wild patience has taken
Union-Endicott Central School District           me this far"
Endicott, New York                             (Integrity) -- Adrienne Rich

>DATE:   Mon, 22 Aug 1994 22:44:19 EDT
>FROM:   Gideon Mizell <T400253@UNIVSCVM.CSD.SCAROLINA.EDU>
>
>    Hello,
>
>    I am the librarian, for about 3 days now, at a small,
>rural primary school.
>
>    I find myself in the position of needing to discard
>two or three hundred obsolete books, many are ragged and
>falling apart.  Some don't look too bad.  It's just that
>they were published in the 50s and 60s.  The content is
>bland and sugar-coated - don't even Think about
>multi-culturalism.
>
>    This is my first job in a library.  I am fresh out of grad
>school, and while I've got all the theories about weeding a
>collection, this is a poor county, and the decision to dump
>such a large number of books is giving me Stress!
>
>    What if I am wrong, and some district supervisor comes by
>next week and says: "YOU DID WHAT??!!"
>
>    Any words of encouragement out there?
>
>    Gideon

LM_NET Archive Home