Here is a brief summary of Big Six, its features and some of its benefits.
I trust this will be helpful.

I'm sure there are other "Big Six'ers" out there who will also want to
add to these comments.

Bob Berkowitz

Information problem-solving is basic to effective information
literacy/information skills instructional
programs. The Big Six Approach to Information Problem Solving:

  Level 1:  Information Problem-Solving

Whenever students are faced with an information problem (or with making a
decision that is based on information), they can use a systematic,
problem-solving process.

  Level 2:  The Big Six Skills

1.  Task Definition
2.  Information Seeking Strategy
3.  Location and Access
4.  Use of Information
5.  Synthesis
6.  Evaluation

  Level 3:  Components of the Big Six Skills

1.  Task Definition:
        1.1  Define the problem.
        1.2  Identify the information requirements of the problem.
2.  Information Seeking Strategy:
        2.1  Determine the range of possible sources.
        2.2  Evaluate the different possible sources to determine priorities.
3.  Location and Access:
        3.1  Locate sources (intellectually and physically).
        3.2  Find information within sources.
4. Use of Information:
        4.1  Engage (e.g., read, hear, view) the information in a source.
        4.2  Extract information from a source.
5.  Synthesis:
        5.1  Organize information from multiple sources
        5.2  Present information
6.  Evaluation
        6.1  Judge the product (effectiveness).
        6.2  Judge the information problem-solving process(efficiency).

The benefits of the Big Six Skills' broad-based approach to information
problem-solving to include:

          improve instructional practices
          provides for individualization and adaptability of the
information problem solving process to all students' learning styles.
          clearly defines the requirements of good units and lessons
from an information perspective.
          provides a framework for the analysis of existing
instructional units and lessons.
          provides a structure for results based assignments.

On Tue, 30 Aug 1994, Guusje Zimmerman Moore wrote:

> I seem to have missed something..but then it's been a long time since
> library school for me....what, in a nutshell is THE BIG SIX? I thought it
> was a football conference...but maybe that's the big 10?  pardon my
> ignorance...
>
>                            Guusje Moore
>                  Librarian, Housman Elementary School
>                            Houston, Texas