I keep a big check-out book with pages with 6 columns.  1st, 3rd, 5th
columns are labeled "Student Number".  2nd/4/6 columns labeled "barcode #)
Students write student number on first line under Stu # and then write the
bc numbers of the books they are checking out to the right of their Stu
#,listing them one under the other.  After the first two columns are
filled up, we move back up to the top of the page and start over.  The
teachers also use this book when they come in late in the afternoon or on
the weekends to check out books. On Wed, 31 Aug 1994, Roselle _ Weiner
wrote:

> Horrors!  CMOS died in our lower school computer.  It wouldn't even
allow > me to reboot.  A handy tech brought it to his shop and fixed it
quickly > but I have this horrible nightmare: what do you do, after you
have > automated and you no longer print pockets and cards and your
computer > goes belly up??? What do you do when all the students are
milling about > trying to check out their books and not be late for
classes.... > > What are your contingency plans.  Has this ever <shudder>
happened? > > Roselle > > > American School for the Deaf >
r_weiner@sacam.oren.ortn.edu
  We have to then enter all the stu #'s and Bc's when the computer gets
going again.  This also means that when books are turned in they have to
be "warehoused" until all the barcodes have been entered for check out and
*then* they can be checked back in.  It's not a pretty sight, but it has
worked for us (K-5 school).  BTW--I use very short student #'s so that the
kids can learn them easily.  No SSN's.  Hope this makes sense!

LM_NET Archive Home