Dear LM_NETers:
   This is my first attempt to address the list.  I am going
to attempt to upload my message.  Hope it works.
  I am learning e-mail and the Internet, and only recently
subscribed to LM_NET.  I was hoping to find addresses and
ask questions to individuals but now I'm hoping this would
give me more responses.  Hope I do this right.
  I have a single user Winnebago Circ/Cat on DOS.  I have
spent many non-work hours learning the system for 2 1/2
years but much as I'd like to network, I haven't found
it worthwhile to network my IBM with the rest of the
school's MacIntoshes.
  Help.  Our school would like catalog capability within
the classroom.  We are also fundraising, hoping to earn
enough money to retrofit our school for LAN.  We already
have MacSchool, and Microsoft mail, and a new building
already connected to the office.  We are hoping to be
able to get school-wide OPAC.  After over a year looking
into the possibility of an IBM server and school-wide
Macs, I've about given up.  The school has Appleshare
netware on an ethernet system.  Each MacIntosh computer
that accesses the IBM server would need software at a cost
of $100 per machine to run Winnebago, and I've heard that
the program runs slow.
  Now I'd like your ideas about the Winnebago on the Mac.
What I've read through LM_NET is not very encouraging.
Winnebago tells me that the basics is available on both
programs, but each platform has different strongpoints.
My feeling is that the MacIntosh is a newer program and
doesn't have all the features of the DOS product, but I
am hoping that each new version will make both more
alike.
  I am still a computer illiterate, but trying to learn
more.  I can get help at home with the DOS, but I know
nothing about a Mac.  Everyone tells me it is easier to
use.  Networking, I know is more complex, esp Novell for
IBMs.  What is your experience with the MacIntosh network
and Winnebago?
  Thanks for your help.
Pat Bain (pbain@kalama.doe.hawaii.edu)
67-020 Waialua Beach Road