First, to answer your question: with computers and proportional spacing, you
only need to put 1 space after a period at the end of sentences. With
typewriters, all letters are given the same amount of space, whether it is an
"i" or an "m". This is because of the basic mechanics of the typewriter. It
was decided to put 2 spaces at the end of sentences so that there would be a
decent separation between them. With computers and the ability to do
proportional spacing that is not necessary as the spaces are adapted to each
letter. With two spaces after a period with computer-created documents you
end up with "rivers" (white spaces) running through your pages.

There are two books out, both written by Robin Williams (-not- the comedian)
and published by PeachPit Press out of Berkeley, CA. They are called, "The
Mac is not a typewriter" and "The PC is not a typewriter". They cover the
changes that we must make to have "documents look clean and pressional: em
dashes, curly quotes, spaces and indents, white space, visual balance, etc."
The whole idea is that with computers and proportional spacing, we can
produce type-set quality documents, which the typewriter (which we probably
all learned on) cannot even think about doing! They are enjoyable to read and
are filled with lots of info. They are $9.95 each. PeachPit's phone number is
1-800-283-9444.

Barb Baker
John Campbell School
Selah, WA