The Mystery of the Plumed Serpent is a great one.  The author is Barbara
Brenner and she includes a final chapter about why she decided to write
this mystery about Mexico and smuggled treasure.  She also introduces
more info about the Quetzalcoatl. The copyright is 1972 but there was a
recent reprint as a Bullseye book.  The reading level is 2.7 - very
doable for ESl students and its a big favorite at my library.
In a previous
article, SKSWOOD@IDS.NET (Linda Wood) says:

>Our ESL teacher is compiling an anthology of mystery short stories with a
>multicultural theme or "angle."  BothAmerican and non-American authors are
>acceptable.  Please send me any suggestions you might have -- mystery
>short stories with a multicultural theme -- and I will post a HIT.  Thank
>you, Linda Wood.

LM_NET Archive Home