        Thank you to all who shared information!!  Perhaps this
will help others, too.

Judy Simmons (jsimmons@tenet.edu)
Calhoun Middle School
Denton, TX
***************
             HIT --> CD-ROM ORGANIZATION & STORAGE

Judy, about CD storage/checkout:
1) We put the barcode on the case it is stored in, not on the CD itself.
This is not so much because of the scanning as it is the fear of
getting the sticky residue in the drive.
We have talked about using a permanent marker to write on the CD but have
not done so because we have not yet lost any CD's that are circulated.

2)We check them out for 6 weeks. I should tell you that I am at the
Professional Library and that we check ours out to libraians. Six weeks
seemed the right time to get several classes through a unit. I do know
some of the schools check out Cd's to teachers and use the same policy
that they have for videos.

3) The airport officials told me the X-Ray wouldn't hurt CD's--don't
know about laser!!

4) We put the colorful boxes\packages the CD's come in out on the
shelves, but the actual Cd\s are in our vault(literally) and we pull
those for the patrons. They are checked out in either a hanging bag like
the ones for kits or in a hard case depending on how much "stuff"
goes with it.
From: Vickye Jean Drury <vdrury@tenet.edu>
***************
Pass your CD info on to me please.  I must be in the same situation as you.
Let me know the results of your quest!!  Thanks Kay
From: KAY PAHL <PEHS_LIB@noeca.ohio.gov>
**************
Dear Judy--We make several copies of our barcodes.  We put one near the
center of the disc (trimmed to fit) and cover it with clear library
tape.  We put other copies on whatever manuals, the jewel or caddy case,
and the hanging bag.  I label the hanging bag with a spine label, and a
label with the CD-ROM's title, contents and the numerical barcode, and a
barcode.  We usually scan the barcode on the bag as it is the most
handy.  We use hanging bags because of all the numerous pieces.  And I
label everything so if something gets left out, the teacher will know
where it came from and return it to us.  We have found that each CD-ROM
should have its own caddy because it is too easy to damage the CD-ROM or
else there is not a caddy to be found when at the computer.  Only
teachers may check out the CD-ROMs at this point, but many check them out
at request of the student.  We have mainly Mac platforms, so many of the
students cannot use them at home.at request of the student.  We have
From: Winnie W Ngan <winnie@tenet.edu>
***************
Judy,

I would only put the barcode (bc) on the cover or box the CD came in,
-never- on the disc itself.  These sticky things can come off and "gum up
the whole works". /:-O  A reasonable solution is to hand-write (lightly
with a felt-tip marker or permanent marker) the bc# on the label of the
CD disc.

Some of our schools (large district, 132 schools, 80,000+ students)
install the software to run the CD-ROM on classroom or library stations
and circulate the CD the way they would a reference item, limited
check-out usually only to teachers.  This helps with the issue of
copyright and user licenses, but some products strictly forbid this.  The
best bet is to write to the publisher of each product for
permission.copyright an
d user licenses, but some products strictly forbid this.  The
best bet is to write to the publisher of each product for permission.
Don't be surprised if they say "no".  CD-ROM towers for networked CD may
help, but they are expensive and multimedia doesn't always travel well.

Storage can be dealt with several ways.  Our libraries shelve the items
with books in their regular or special collections, some lock each CD-ROM
disc in the player where it is most frequently used, so it is always
installed (works great for reference CDs),  others keep the CDs in a
little "flip holder" right next to the workstation so the students can
change them as needed (trusting souls aren't they?)  Much depends on
whether your CD drive is a CADDY or TRAY type.  The caddy provides more
protection for the disc when patrons handle them.  In that case,
permanent marker may be used on the caddy to indicate title and barcode
as long as that disc is always left in that particular caddy.

True, typing in barcode numbers during circulation is no fun, but it
seems a better solution than having a barcode gum up the inside of a
CD-ROM drive.  I also wonder if the thickness of the barcode with aseems
a better
 solution than having a barcode gum up the inside of a
CD-ROM drive.  I also wonder if the thickness of the barcode with a
barcode cover/protector might interfere with the disc as it spins.
From: "Vanessa R. Toyokura" <toyokura@csn.org>
***************
Judy,
I would like the answer to those questions, too.  It seems to me there
was a discussion a while back which indicated that no kind of label
should go on the CD-Rom itself, and that even writing on it with a marker
was to be avoided.  So if you here differently I'd appreciate your sharing.
From: Paula Neale <mohmie@coop.crn.gen.mo.us>
***************
Judy,
1}  We attach a barcode on the outside of the CD case.
2}  Currently, we do not circulate CDs.  They are used at MPC reference
stations in the library media center.
3}  I have never heard of using a laser barcode reader with CDs.  Are you
talking about scanning the CD at the circ. station?
4}  We store our CDs in our office.  They are in an old wooden file box,
standing up.
From: Sharon Wright <swright@orca.esd114.wednet.edu>
***************
Judy,
We use plastic containers originally meant for 5 1/4" floppies.
From: AMCDACE@delphi.com
**************
Dear Judy:
Please share your info when you get it.   I have slowly been acquiring a
CD-ROM collection.  We use only in the library!  I have not labeled or
catloged anything yet as I'm unsure about how to proceed.
Thanks in advance---
From: Mary Smith <msmith@ccantares.wcupa.edu>
***************
Dear Judy,
        We store our CDROM's in their caddies, which are in turn stored in
a "Browser Pak" (available from Brodart I think).  We write the BC number
on the clear center disk on the CDROM, but actually attach the BC to the
accompanying materials which we insert in the tip of the "Pak".  Ours are
all stored in a counter-top storage container much like a record bin, but
made for CD's.  Our system of cataloguing has the call number as "CDROM
Nat" or whatever the first three letters of the title are.  We then
assign a subject of "CDROM's" so they can be browsed by users of the
online catalog from off site.  This has worked for us as a County Office
of Education Library providing services throughout the county.  The
circulation period is the same as books (60 days).  That may seem like a
long time, but only teachers are our patrons, and this time period allows
circulation period is the same as books (60 days).  That may seem like a
long time, but only teachers are our patrons, and this time period allows
them time to use materials for unity os study.  Hope this helps.
From: "Katharine D. Graves" <kgraves@eis.calstate.edu>

LM_NET Archive Home