Hi Betty and All

I have a rule that students are not permitted in the LRC or the library
without supervision....so that eliminates students being dumped by
themselves.  This is necessary because we don't have someone at the desk
so to speak but we are in offices and really can't see what the kids are
doing.

When teachers do come, they usually guide the students themselves but
there have been times when they needed my help and that's fine, too.
What I usually do, in the beginning of the year is beg teachers to
communicate their unit plans with me and then send them lists of
materials available...etc.  I also do what I call "slumming" ...i go
around to each classroom mabye once or twice  year and take notes on what
the teachers feel we need or what they are absolutely desperate for...."I
wish we had a ________" usually pops up in impromtu discussions in a
teachers classroom rather than in a meeting.

Another thinkg i do is send invitations to new teachjers telling them to
come down to the lrc and meet me for orientation and assistance with
their planning...they usually do.

Its alot of work but I think it is part of the job and helps make things
a bit more equitable.

look forward to what you find in answers, too

all best,

Roselle

American School for the Deaf
r_weiner@sacam.oren.ortn.edu