One of the science teachers and myself are trying a new approach
to learning/teaching.  Some problems we are solving by
experimentation.  One problem, however, leaves us clueless and we
seek advice or suggestions.  I will explain.

The 7/8 grade science teacher teaches a chapter, including
experiments.  She then tests the students.  Any student with at
least 70% on the test has two choices.  The student can tutor
another who has less than 70%, or the student can go to the
library and do a research project.  The project can be chosen
from a list or generated by the student.  For instance, design a
book jacket that has a picture of a chloroplast on it.  All are
project oriented (NO reports).  The students who are tutors or
who do a project receive points for doing this which constitutes
10% of their grade.  The students who get below 70% are retaught,
tutored, and retested.  They receive a grade which reflects the
fact that they failed the first test.  Before the class goes to
the next chapter 95% of the class must achieve the 70% minimum.
So far we are generally pleased with the whole process.  Most of
the students who fail the first test do pass the second, thanks
to the help of the student tutors.  Most of the students who come
to the library behave well, work individually, and are
enthusiastic about learning something they find interesting.

Here is the problem.  Some of the successful students do not want
to tutor or do research.  They've received their 70% and they
DON'T CARE.  They are not interested in learning more and they
don't want to tutor.  How can we encourage these students?
Should we let them just sit in the classroom?  Or should we beat
them over the head and MAKE them do a project?  Does this not
then become just another stupid school-type-activity?  We eagerly
await any clue!!

Sincerely,
Janet Johns
Berlin Brothersvalley High School