One of the problems with study halls kids is the habits they fall into by
being in the same place at the same time every day.  It ceases to become
school space and becomes their space.  I have seven students who come in
every day  sit around the same tab
le and socialize.  To them the normal thing to do when their in the
library is not to use the facility as a library but to talk and
socialize.  Talking is allowed in the library so you can't change the
rules just for them. They start out quiet then get lo
ud, them I tell them to be quiet.  I can't throw them out because their
assigned to be there.  I can keep the situation in control but its just
another thing to do.  The worse part of having a library used constanly
as a study hall is having students ask
me if anyone ever uses this room as a library.  Its not a problem of
disruption its a problem of identity.

Tom Zarrilli
Yeshiva Atlanta

LM_NET Archive Home