Jan,
     I will answer this this question to the whole group because it seems
to be the type question that would be of interest to all school librarians.
I have had great success in  the way I handled that situation.  I formed
a prestigeous club called Cybernauts.  These stuedents who frequented the
library and the computers anyway, were taken into my confidence.  I told
them the mission of the Cybernauts was to protect the library computers,
mentor anyone who needed help, and treat the computers like they were
their own.  When classes would come in for research and a Cybernaut was
one of them, I would introduce the Cybernaut and explain he/she was the
expert.  I even went a step more and put their pictures over the computer
with a sign saying Wanted Computer Mentor Cypernaut Jonny Jones.  If seen
use them.  I treated them with all the respect I could and it caught on.
Instead of being teased they were sought out for help.  Even to the  point
of borrowing a Cybernaut form another class if I needed help.  The
teachers finally realized they had a reliable mentor in their classes.  I
tell you these Cybernauts became my clone during busy times.  Cybernauts
were the first to use new software.  They would arrive a 6:00a.m and I
had to kick them out at 5:00 p.m.  I have since moved from that school
and we still exchange E-Mail.  I ask them research questions which
they can answer better than me.  The nerds will inhert the earth.  Make them
work for you by giving them respect, recognition and prestige.

On Thu, 1 Dec 1994, Jane Webb wrote:

> Unfortunately the students who use our school Library during break and lunch
> are those who do not mix well socially with the rest of the student body.
> Consequently the other students avoid the Library and label those who use it
> "Library Nerds". Does anyone have ideas on how to change this situation?
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Jane M. Webb

Bill Sears, Information Telecommunication Teacher* Phone (916) 228-2353
Sacramento County Office of Education            * FAX   (916) 228-2493
9738 Lincoln Village Drive                       * CORE: bsears@ctp.org
Sacramento, California  95827 ******************** I ensure that
curriculum trainers have the expertise to help teachers use the Internet
as a resource to enhance the California State Curriculum Frameworks.

LM_NET Archive Home