On Sat, 3 Dec 1994, Thomas J. Zarrilli wrote:

> One of the problems with study halls kids is the habits they fall into by
> being in the same place at the same time every day.  It ceases to become
> school space and becomes their space.  I have seven students who come in
> every day  sit around the same table and socialize.

What a great observation, Tom! I have never thought of it that way, and
you are so correct. I think I may have a clue to my solution. What I will
do is require those students to sit at separate tables in order to help
them stay focused -- I'll tell them that and then enforce the move. We'll
see what happens. Either they will get studying done or they will choose
another place to socialize!

I *have* noticed that students form congregating habits -- "their"
tables, etc. Perhaps if the scenario is changed each time they come,
they won't get quite as accustomed to the socializing part.

> me if anyone ever uses this room as a library.  Its not a problem of
> disruption its a problem of identity.

Another astute observation! I'm going to work on the library image as a
place to accomplish educational goals and not just to kill time.

Of course, I'll share the results if the separation is successful!
Betty
                                .----.
Betty Hamilton, LRS             |    |                701 Cub Drive
bhamilt@tenet.edu           ____|*    ~~~~~~.         Brownfield TX 79316
Brownfield High School      \               |         (806) 637-4523

LM_NET Archive Home