In her message of Fri, 2 Dec, R_Weiner said

>I have a rule that students are not permitted in the LRC or the
>library without supervision....so that eliminates students being
>dumped by themselves.

I don't wish to start a flame war, but it sounds like a PRISON CAMP!
Guards accompany students wherever they go.  Doesn't she
provide free reading materials, magazines, newspapers, etc? I
can hear a student now - "Excuse me, Mrs. Schwartz, would you go
to the library with me so I can see if the Patriots won yesterday?"

>When teachers do come, they usually guide the students themselves
>but there have been times when they needed my help and that's
>fine, too.

I always thought the librarian's "job one" was to guide students
in the library.

>I also do what I call "slumming" ...i go around to each classroom
>mabye once or twice a year...

I'm sure she gets a lot of cooperation from a faculty if her attitude is
that going into the classroom (once a year!) is slumming.

Yes, I am troubled by the "study hall syndrome," and everything
in my library is not wonderful, but the students are comfortable
coming here and they know they will get my full attention if they
need assistance.

LM_NET Archive Home