I've been following two discussions with interest. One, the suggestions
on how to deal with the kids who use the library as a social hall... and
yes, taking the same table every day. We have instituted a "two to a
table" rule which helps some but I feel like a grouch or a grinch ;-)

Two, the cybernaut suggestion. Some of the kids who hang-out would
respond to this idea... I have noticed that at the high school level
these are 100% boys.  In fact I overheard three girls going into the
library after school today. One commented to her friendd," You're going to
the
library? You must be a library nerd."  The other apologized, but I have
to do an assignment.  UGH. How I would like to change the image.
Thanks, Bill, for your excellent suggestion.
My question, Are these high school kids?  Some of our kids might like
to get involved but might NOT like to be pointed out in class.... again
the tag of "library or computer nerd" might discourage further
participation. -It's tricky to give them positive recognition without
bringing negative reactions from their peers.
        Betsy Springer
        Downers Grove South H.S.
        1436 Norfolk St.
        Downers Grove, IL 60516