Thanks to all of you who replied.  Many of you do have periodic amensty
weeks and find them helpful.  Many others, however, indicated that they'd
tried it and, unfortunately, students too often were prone to hold on to
books until the "amnesty thing" came up!  It appears that most who
replied were talking about fines - which they do charge.  We don't - only
replacement cost for lost books.  Returned books cancel fines anyway so
the motivation wouldn't be the same.  The best idea in terms of a contest
or rewards for returning long lost books came from  a couple of you who
suggested giving students who returned such books a raffle ticket or
drawing chance, and then raffling off a pizza or a turkey (around the
holidays) or similar item.  I'll pass this idea along to the
administrator who was looking for suggestions.  Eunice Stewart, C.K.
McClatchy H.S., Sacramento (estewar@ctp.org)

LM_NET Archive Home