Victoria,
I tried many times to call 3M's 800 number last year.  Left many voice
mail messages, saw their rep at the state library convention and gave him
my card, told him I needed to encumber the money soon, and was ready to
make a purchase.  I did not get any response.

By going thru my advertising brochures, I did get in touch with
CheckPoint and Gaylord.  I decided not to go with the CheckPoint system
because it seemed too easy to foil.  I called several references about
the Gaylord Guardian system and got good recommendations, so I did get it.

Gaylord sent one rep out to see the actual site of installation, and to
see if it was possible to install a system in our particular situation.
The actual work then is contracted out to local people, in my case an
electrician who has beten very good and patient.  But they seem reluctant
to send a technician to us as we are not near Dallas, Denver, etc.

We have had *big trouble* with the system not reading items taken out by
ourselves as a test--items not deactivated.  Their rep tells me it will
work with 98% accuracy, but I have not found this to be so.  We did have
our local installer come back Friday, and thru working on the phone with
the rep, the local installer has reset the sensitivy.  We are fervently
hoping for better results, now that we've gone to the trouble to put
sensors in most print items.  Our physical space did not allow us to have
3 gates; we have 2.  The Gaylord rep does say that it works much better
with 3.

I am anxious to see if the new adjustment gives us more satisfactory
results.  My feeling the past few months is that I wish I had gone with
one of the other companies.  I would be interested in hearing from anyone
using Guardian.

Linda Ellis, Director of Library Services
Slaton ISD, Slaton, TX                  laellis@tenet.edu

LM_NET Archive Home