The following is edited for space considerations:From: arogers@bonita.cerf.fred.
 org
Subject: RE: Librarians want to know
To: ntfhmmt@clust1.clemson.edu
 ALL of the FrEdMail Newsgroups are available via
institutionalsubscription on the Internet. We feed them to over 30 state
and regional internet networks around the U.S. and overseas.... we call
them "SCHLnet"
Here is information on how an institution can subscribe to SCHLnet on the
Internet. (Individuals can obtain some of our project mailings by sending
msg to ideas@bonita.cerf.fred.org, we'll put them on our mailing list.)
What is SCHLnet?
----------------
   SCHLnet is a new distributed conferencing management service that
   meets the needs of K-12 educators and their students on the
   Internet. Because it is a distributed conference on the internet
   it effectively puts teachers in touch with one another throughout
   the United States, Canada, Europe, Latin America, Australia, the
   Orient, Russia, and many other countries... even where direct
   Internet access is not available.
   SCHLnet solves the problems of "noise control" on the internet.
   It moves your listserv and group mail topics out of your personal
   mail boxes into the SCHLnet conference area, organized by topic,
   and ready for browsing when you are ready. Your mailbox will once
   again be used only for personal correspondence.
   SCHLnet uses Usenet format newsgroups to create a "mini-usenet"
   aimed specifically at K-12 teachers and their students. SCHLnet
   creates an interactive flea-market of ideas, resources,
   opportunities, and information of specific relevance to teachers
   and their students, without the extraneous and sometimes
   offensive distractions (from the perspective of K-12 educators,
   children, parents, and local school boards) posed by Usenet
   netnews.
How does it work?
-----------------
   SCHLnet news is delivered directly to your local network using
   the USENET message interchange format, and available via the
   Internet, UUCP, FrEdMail Network, and other delivery protocols.
   Network types include School BBS, district BBS, school LAN's,
   district wide area networks, and regional or statewide networks.
   (Individuals may also subscribe to the CALLS hierarchy
   directly... see below).
   The Usenet delivery protocols are supported by a variety of
   packages for Unix and other systems.  If you're already on
   USENET, you're ready to receive SCHLnet with no extra effort.  If
   you're not on USENET, many public domain newsreading programs are
   available, usually for free.
   SCHLnet is a service of the FrEdMail Foundation, a pioneer and
   leader in networking services for educators for the past decade.
   The FrEdMail Foundation monitors all newsgroups, and actively
   moderates many of them. This service ensures that your teachers
   and students will find a professional networking venue
   appropriate to your local community standards.
What Content is available on SCHLnet?
-------------------------------------
   SCHLnet newsgroups are discussion and information forums for
   various topics of interest to educators.  These newsgroups are
   delivered to schools and networks around the world, thereby
   creating an international distributed conferencing system.
   Current subject categories include a range of topics. New topics
   will be added as demand dictates.  Current categories include:
   CALLS  - Calls for collaboration, collaborative project
            announcements, requests for project partners and sister
            schools, and keypal requests. (This is our "special"
            newsgroup and is discussed below.)
   NEWS   - News and information on a variety of topics, including
            America 2000 Daily Report Card, CNN Newsroom Daily
            Lesson Plans, and other publications and announcements
            to educators.
   SIG    - Special Interest Groups and discussion forums on a
            variety of general interest issues.
   CURR   - Curriculum Interest Groups, similar to SIGS but specific
            to curricular themes.
   PROJ   - Current and Recent Classroom Projects. Ongoing network-
            wide projects will be conducted in this area, so that
            all participants may "peek" at the progress of a project
            and new participants may choose to join.
   PUB    - Publications of various sorts, INCLUDING the electronic
            publishing of the best of student work. Teachers
            supervise the selection and posting of only the BEST of
            student work. Other electronic publications from around
            the Internet will also be posted here.
   STU    - Various student topics/exchanges. This is the place for
            students to correspond with one another.  Moderators
            encourage appropriate and timely discussions on a
            variety of topics.
What is the CALLS newsgroup?
----------------------------
   A particular area of focus is the newsgroup hierarchy "CALLS"
   which is dedicated to "CALLS for collaboration."  Here teachers
   themselves post their own announcements for project-based
   learning activities.
   CALLS meets the needs of busy teachers who are looking for
   relevant learning projects for their students and who want a
   reliable forum for soliciting collaborators for their own
   projects. ...(material deleted)...
   o) CALLS projects will engage students in collaboration with
      other classes in their learning experiences.  Students will
      measure, collect, evaluate, write, read, publish, simulate,
      hypothesize, compare, debate, examine, investigate, report,
      and summarize their learning experiences. Much of this will
      take place via the network as they collect, organize, share,
      and report.
What does the FrEdMail Foundation do with CALLS?
   As the primary moderator of CALLS, the FrEdMail Foundation will:
   o) Publish a calendar and curriculum matrix for projects
      appearing on CALLS each semester or each quarter.
   o) Screen and post project ideas which meet the established
      project criteria
   o) Work with teachers who have worthy project ideas to develop
How can teachers use CALLS?
---------------------------
   o) Read CALL to find credible, worthwhile classroom-based,
      collaborative learning activities.  Since it is moderated,
      only well-organized and useful projects will be announced
      here.  You will not have to wade through oceans of trivia to
      find good projects.
   o) Post your project on CALL to solicit participation from the
      widest and most interesting audience possible. The FrEdMail
      Foundation will post your project announcement on the
      appropriate CALL newsgroup.  If your idea is missing some
      elements crucial to success we will work with you to develop a
      well-structured call for collaboration which will assist in
      developing a successful project.
What does it cost? And, Why?
  ...(material deleted)...
 SCHLnet fees cover the costs of managing this service. Fees are
   moderate and in keeping with the philosophy of the FrEdMail
   Foundation, a non-profit corporation which for eight years has
   provided free and low-cost telecommunications to thousands of
   classrooms.
   Fees for SCHLnet newsfeeds and services are based on the size of
   your network and the number of educators and adult users with
   access to SCHLnet. Network types include School BBS, district
   BBS, school LAN's, district wide area networks, and regional or
   statewide networks.  Contact fred@acme.fred.org for current fees.
How do I subscribe?
--------------------
   If you are a network administrator, request an electronic order
   form and the full sheet of terms, conditions, and fees from
   fred@acme.fred.org.
   You can also write to us at:
          FrEdMail Foundation
          PO Box 243
          Bonita, CA 91908-0243
          619-475-4852
What if my site can't join but users want to subscribe?
   If your sysadmin is not willing to put the "schl.net" newsgroups
   on your network we will be glad to send you selected SCHLnet
   newsgroups via your normal Internet email address and bill you
   individually. You will probably want to receive all of the CALL
   newsgroups, plus selected other newsgroups that especially
   pertain to your needs.
How do I get a news feed?
-------------------------
   If you already have an Internet address, then we can send the
   newsfeeds to your network. If you don't, you can get UUCP feeds
   directly from UUNET or PSI. Write to postmaster@uunet.uu.net for
   details on how to become a customer of theirs.  They provide
   cheap communications, but do charge a $35/month administrative
   fee on top of their telecom charges. After that, they can feed
   you anywhere in the USA for as little as $5/hour.  PSI charges a
   flat fee of $75/month for leaf-site access to E-mail and news,
   with local access in selected areas.   Mail info@psi.com or phone
   800-82psi82.
   You can also get a feed from one of our existing customers in
   your area.  Our net is growing.  Contact us to see if we have a
   feed site in an area that you can call.
   If there is no feed point suitable for you, we will keep you on
   file and inform you when one shows up.
Can I see what it looks like?
-----------------------------
   We'll be glad to give you a free one-month trial of SCHLnet with
   no obligation.  If you already connect to UUNET or the Internet
   and you can receive Usenet newsfeeds we can set a trial up for
   you almost immediately, with no effort on your part.
   If you're not satisfied with the products at the end of the
   trial, send back the invoice (even by e-mail) and you will be
   charged nothing.
What if I don't have a Unix system?
-----------------------------------
   There are software packages available that handle USENET format
   news for many different operating systems.  There are even a
   couple of free/shareware packages for the IBM-PC. One which we
   recommend is called Waffle which can be downloaded as shareware
   from Compuserve and other information services.
   The simplest and least expensive approach to receiving and
   distributing SCHLnet to your teachers is through the FrEdMail
   Network which uses readily available Apple IIe and IIgs
   computers. We can send you additional information about the
   FrEdMail Network.

LM_NET Archive Home