January 22, 1994

THe list just keeps on growing!  Here is an updated version of "words of
welcome" I posted before.  Thanks to everyone who has submitted ways to
say "welcome" in a variety of languages.
                                  Jan Dougall

       WORDS OF WELCOME LIST

Arabic (?)             MERHBA
Australian             G'DAY or OW-YA-GOING-MATE?
Bhasa Indonesian       SELAMAT DATANG
Bella Coola Indian     YAW
Catalonian             BENVINGUT!
Czech                  NAZDAR
Danish                 VELKOMMEN
Dutch                  WELKOM
French                 BIENVENUE
German                 WILKOMMEN
Greek                  KALOSTE or KALOS ERTHETAI
Guamanian              HAFA DAI
Hawaiian               E KOMO MAI!
Hebrew                 BARUKH HABAYIM or BRUKHIM HA-BA' IM
Hungarian              ISTEN HOZTA or ISTEN HOZOTT
Icelandic              VELKOMIN
Italian                BENVENUTO or BENVENUTI
Japanese               YOKU IRASSHAIMASHITA or IRASSHAMASE
Latin                  SALVE!
Lithuanian             LABAS
Mandarin Chinese       HUANING
Maori                  KIA ORA
Muslim (?)             AS-SALAAM-ALAYKUM
Philipino              MALIGAYANG PAGDATING
Polish                 WITAMY
Portuguese             SEJA BENVINDO or BEMVINDO
Serbo-Croatian         DOBRO NAM DOSLI
Southern USA           HI YA'LL!
Spanish                !BIENVENIDO!
Swahili (Kiswahili)    KARIBU
Swiss German           GRUETZI
Swedish                VALKOMMEN
Thai                   SAU WAU DEE
Turkish                YENI YILINIZ KUTLU OLSUN
Ukrainian              BITAEMO
Urdu                   SALAAM O ALEIKUM
Welsh                  CROESO

You will notice that SHALOM has been replaced by two new words of
welcome.  Thanks to those of you who pointed out that SHALOM means
"peace","hello", or "good-bye."

Corrections and updates gratefully accepted to the above list!  Here is
the remainder of Bonnie Fulmer's "welcome" list which has not been
identified:

MALOLELEI
AFIO MAI
HOS GELDINIZ (the s has a comma attached to its bottom, kind of like a
cedilla; each capital I also has a dot over it)
SIYANIBINGELELA
DOBRO NAM DOSLI (the S has an upside-down ^ above it)
BINE ATI VENIT (the T in ATI has a comma attached to its bottom)
MIPELA WELKAM YUPELA
TONGA SOA
TERVETULOA

Thanks Bonnie for taking the time to send these. This list has really
grown with the help of many generous people on LM_NET and KIDSPHERE. If
anyone recognizes some of the "words of welcome" above, or can supply
examples in other languages, please let me know and I will update the
list again!

Jan Dougall,                          Tell me, I'll forget,
Teacher/Librarian,                    Show me, I may remember,
Saskatoon Board of Education,         But involve me, and I'll
Saskatoon, Sask., Canada.             understand.
DOUGAL@sask.usask.ca                           (Asian proverb)

LM_NET Archive Home