> Betty Hamilton recently said that automating elementary libraries frees
> the librarian to spend more time with students and staff.  What I'd
> like to know from the librarians who have done it is is that true?
> And if it does free you from technical services, how long did it take
> before that happened.

Paula,
In my experience, it will take at least 2-3 years to get up to speed
using an automated system.
 If you have to do all your data entry and cataloging of new materials it
will be even longer than that for you.  The process is time-consuming at
the beginning and it is a constant process of learning, but once you do
have everything entered and have become comfortable using the system, you
really are able to work more with teachers and students.

Mary Woodard
Kimbrough Middle School
Mesquite, TX
marlow@tenet.edu