Carlton S. Martz (cmartz@EIS.CALSTATE.EDU) wrote:
: I have recently read Jamie McKenzie's thoughtful article,
: "Libraries of the Future," and found it to be an excellent
: starting point  for all of us to consider the future of our
: profession.  But, if online catalogs, CD-ROMs, and other
: wonders of the electronic library pose a challenge, if not
: a threat to librarians, what about the Internet.  Once the
: masses learn to log on to it, will we be needed?  This question
: is addressed in an article by Jane Smith in the Jan/Feb 1994
: issue of "Internet World" magazine.  The following quote will
: give you an idea of where she stands on this issue: "Technicians
: build the infrastructure and applications; the librarians make
: them useful and serve as guides to the critical thinking and
: information management skills necessary to transform information
: access into knowledge access."  Now that most of us are well into
: library technology, I think it is time to do some hard thinking
: about what we should do with it, how we should train teachers and
: students to use it, and what our role will be.

: Carl Martz
: Yucaipa H. S. Librarian
: Yucaipa, CA
: cmartz@eis.calstate.edu