On Sat, 29 Jan 1994, Rita Kaikow (Oceanside High School) wrote:

> Has anyone come up with a workable package which gives a detailed overview of
> the school library's role in the OBE [Outcomes Bases Education] scheme of
> things?

Rita, if the responses are not posted to the entire group, will you please
TARGET> this information for all of us?

Texas Education Agency has addressed that issue to some extent in that our
state assessment (TAAS) tests (at 4th, 8th, and 10th levels; social
studies subject area) are going to require collaborative research in the
library to be followed by an individually written document (not necessarily
a "research paper") based on the results; or that's the way I interpret the
information.  I am assuming that the document will be an opinion paper citing
findings from the research process as support for the opinion.

I believe the idea is a sound one, but we need to go through it to
understand exactly how it will be done.  I also understand that our 8th
grade statewide will be doing the research this year; and I am working on
the high school collection with the understanding that 10th grade will be
implemented next year.  It would seem to me that such a "test" would not
only test background and thinking skills but would also examine students'
research and writing skills that are generally taught in language arts
classes.

If any other states have similar tests, will you tell us how you have
handled the process....especially the scheduling?  I really like the
concept, but working out the logistics may be a killer!

Betty
                            bhamilt@tenet.edu
Betty Hamilton, LRS             .----.
Brownfield High School LMC      |    |                Home:
701 Cub Drive, North        ____|*    ~~~~~~.         911 East Oak St.
Brownfield, Texas  79316    \               |         Brownfield, TX 79316
(806) 637-4523               \_/\        . /          (806) 637-4213
                                  \     {
                                    \  }
                                      ~

LM_NET Archive Home