Regarding the discussion on CD-ROM drives to purchase :

One thing I got burned on was when I tried to connect my CD-ROM
drives to our Novell network using Optinet's NLM version, I
found that the CD-ROM drives I had were not good enough. If you
are planning on doing something like this in the future, you
need to purchase CD-ROM drives that are ASPI compatible. I
thought I was ok sticking with Hitachi's, but it was not to be
so. The MS-DOS version of Optinet will work with our CD-ROM
drives, but it will require a separate file server.

LM_NET Archive Home