Thanks to all of you who sent me your electronic resource"picks" for
elementary schools.  Here they are:

I am just seting up three CD ROM station in my
elementary LMC in Dallas, Texas.  I already have Compton's Multimedia
encyclopedia.  I have the home version ($70), but hope it will suffice.
I'm using it for reference purposes rather than teaching purposes.  I
plan to get the New World Book CD Encyclopedia also.  I have World
Almanac and it's beem useful for me this year.  I think my upper grade
kids will find it fun and useful.  I have ordered Primary Search from
EBSCO.  I've previewed it and I think it will really help my sixth
graders on their annual research projects.  In literature I like Arthur's
Teacher Trouble (Broderbund), World of Dinosaurs (Steck Vaughn) and all
the Discus Books.  There's so much out there.  I know I've barely
scratched the surface, but then I am new to CD ROM technology.
Cathy Roach (croach@tenet.edu)

We have both Grolier and Compton's CD_ROM  encyclopedias and much
prefer Grolier's  You can buy one copy directly from Groliers at a
reasonable price, and all others are $75 each.  Don't waste money with a
vendor.  Also, if anyone in your district has already ordered one at
full price, then you can get all you wand for the $75.  It offers very
easy boolean searching.
GAIL_SMITH@cpsnet2.cps.edu

Bowker's Children's Reference Plus is a wonderful resource!
Carol Simpson  csimpson@tenet.edu

At our K-2 school we are using First Connections although the
second graders prefer Grolier.   Compton though better for
vocabulary is  slow. Kindergarteners use First Connections ...
At our gr3-5 schoool we are using Grolier, Compton (not as popular)
Mammals(Nat'l Geo),Primary Search (mag search from EBSCO). World
Almanac and Gale's Jr Discovering authors.  Students do not seem
to have any trouble using these.
Doris Smith
dorsmith@k12.ucs.umass.edu

Here are the cd-roms we have in our k-6 elementary media center. All are
excellent and are in constant use for both "edutainment" and serious
research:
Broderbund's Living Books (Arthur's Teacher Touble, New Kid on the Block,
Just Grandma & Me)
National Geographic's Mammals and Atlas of the World
Groliers Multimedia encyc.
Our collection is growing rapidly and we hope to start a network late next
year.
Joe Light
sksrt001@LLwsbe.LL.pbs.org

WE are a pre-8 school and we have:
Groliers Encyclpedia
SanDiego Zoo Animals
World Atlas (Software Toolworks)
World Fact Book (Very simialr to  world atlas, but less polished)
The students really enjoy using them more then the print version and will
ask to use them during their free time.
 Andria D'Errico                         Chicago Jr. School
aderrico@icebox.ncook.k12.il.us         Elgin, IL

Don't buy the Comptons CD-ROM ency.....last year it was wonderful...this
year they revamped it and it isn't as suitable for K-5 (they even told me
they wanted to make it more suitable for middle school).  We have
Dinosaurs by Sony which is real popular and an Animal CD ROM with
something like 2000 animals on it...got it from Bro-Dart of all people! I
like the Grollers ency. and am real interested in the Encarta by Microsoft.
                           Guusje Moore
                 Librarian, Housman Elementary School
                           Houston, Texas
                          guusje@tenet.edu

My students have used cd's this year for the first time.  I have
Grolier's Multimedia, the old Grolier's and Encarta.  Of the three, at
first the students wanted the old Grolier's and then advanced to
Encarta.  Microsoft's Dinosaurs was tremendously popular as well as
Oceans Below.  Mammals and the It Started with George as well as US Atlas
and World Atlas were used.  The San Diego Zoo Animal's didn't seem to get
much attention.
Sandy Scroggs                   Kate Schenck Elementary School
Librarian                       101 Kate Schenck Avenue
sandyscr@tenet.edu              San Antonio, Texas 78223

National Geographic Animals, Grolier's Electronic Encyclopedia, Just Grandma
and Me.
A_KUEBBELER@OJC.Colorado.EDU

I can heartily recommend videodiscs Animal Pathfinders, a NOVA program, and the
Great Solar System Rescue. CDs: Grolier's Multimedia Encyclopedia and the
programs Just Grandma and Me and also Cell...bration.
Judy Druse
Curriculum Resources Center
Washburn University
Topeka, KS
zzdrus@acc.wuacc.edu

        Students in my K-5 elementary wait in line to get to National
Geographic Mammals program, as well as Grolier's Multimedia Encyclopedia.
When it comes to serious research, World Book Information Finder is our
#1 choice. If I could only have one, Information Finder would be it!

Carol Edwards, Librarian <cedwards@tenet.edu>

There are lots of neat programs around, and I am fortunate to have an
administrator who buys new ones for our Lirbrary Resource Centre all the
time ( and it doesn't come out of my budget).  One of the best I've found
is the Biosci Elementary Edition Laserdisc and support materials.  It is
produced by Videodiscovery, but we purchased ours through Laser Learning
Technologies in Seattle. (120 Lakeside Ave., Suite 240, Seattle, WA
98122-6522 Ph. 206-322-5085, Fax 206-322-7421, 1-800-722-3505).  They
have a great catalogue with lots of useful information.  They have also
been busy producing support materials for the Smithsonian Laserdiscs.
They have been extremely helpful to us with everything they do.  I hope
this is of some help.

Marilyn Richardson
Teacher-Librarian
Brent Kennedy Elementary        Box 40 Crescent Valley
School District #7 - Nelson      British Columbia, V0G 1H0 Canada
mrichard@cln.etc.bc.ca          604-359-7292  FAX 604-359-7522

I really like National Geographic's Mammals for my 3rd grades,
Grolier's Multimedia, and World Book's Information Finder for
4th and 5th.  These 3 are used all the time.  We also have National
Geographic's Presidents and Wilsondisc's Reader's Guide Abstracts,
which are ok, but not heavily used.
June Muldner  ny000997@mail.nyser.net

I previewed EBSCO's Primary Search (sort of a Reader's Guide for Elem,
on CD-Rom); plan to get IBM version next year.  We also like Grolier's
Encyclopedia and Information Finder.
Karen Whetzel
kwhetzel@pen.k12.va.us

Buy all of Broderbund's.  They are great.  National Geographic's
Mammals.  U.S. Atlas.  I would not buy Discus Books unless I
had lots of money.  Information Finder.  (Don't like Compton's at
all!!!)  Grolier's is okay but difficult reading level.  There's a lot of
junk out there.  I won't buy without previewing!!!!
Sandra Hughes   shughes@uva386.schools.virginia.edu

[Vicki Schaeffer sent a longer and helpful message.  I have only
included part of it.]
Mediasource for Windows, Natural Science Library, Vol.1 and
Mediasource for Window, Historical Library , Vol. 1 are broadly
useful and would find application through high school.  She also
recommends Dinosaur Discovery and American Vista.
Vicki Schaeffer
vschaeffer@nikita.bham.wednet.edu

LM_NET Archive Home