I believe "Blood Wedding" which is based on a play by Lorca is available in
video. My college Spanish class saw the Spanish language version "Boda del
Sangre" - awesome flamenco dancing.  The whole thing was in dance,
violent, although not explicit, I have no idea about the rating.

Another good film is the Ballad of Gregorio Cortez.  It takes place in Texas
during the 1890's (?) when the Americans were taking over what had
been Mexican land.  Due to a miscommunication (the Texan asks about a
mare but uses the word for a gelding) Gregorio Cortes is unfairly
persecuted and hanged.  Again violent, but an outstanding story.

Erica Sternin                   |       Outside of a dog, a book
UWGSLIS                         |       is a man's best friend.
esternin@u.washington.edu       |       Inside of a dog,
(206) 527-8895                  |       it's too dark to see.

LM_NET Archive Home