Date:   Thu, Jun 30, 1994 1:02 PM EST
From:  AECT-L@wvnvm.wvnet.edu
Subj:        CHANGE Newsletter, Part 2(350 lines)
To:      CHARLIEWVT

GRANT-WRITING POINTERS:

When writing a grant, carefully read through and understand
the scope of the RFP (request for proposal), making sure
that your proposal CLEARLY matches the scope of the grant.
Generally, the more people impacted by the grant the better.

Highlight infrastructure and support systems that are
already in place.  Highlight in-kind contributions that you
and your coworkers and your institution will make.
Highlight successes.  Write the proposal as if you were
writing a resume--let them KNOW how good you are.   Remember
that you are competing against many others.  Use wording
which conveys conviction and confidence:  Don't say, "We
want to do such and such with this grant money";   Instead
say, "We ARE currently doing such and such, and we WILL do
such and such with this grant money".    Finally, remember
that very few first time grant writers' proposals succeed on
the first try.  If your proposal is rejected, seek others'
input, revise it, and submit it again.   Good luck!

A winning grant:

     * shows importance, addresses a legitimate need

     * states explicitly what you are going to do

     * is well written in clear English

     * follows points in the RFP exactly

For more information, contact:
     Sharon Gray, Communications Officer
     University of South Dakota
     414 East Clark
     Vermillion, SD  57069
     (605) 677-5330
     FAX: (605) 677-6518
     Internet:  sgray@charlie.usd.edu

================================

INTERNET CONNECTIONS...

Each issue,  this section will be devoted to sharing
information on resources available through the Internet,
such as discussion lists, FTP sites, Gopher resources,
journals, books and newsletters available online.  Please
send comments, additions, and questions to Sharon Gray
(sgray@Charlie.usd.edu).

Discussion Lists:

This following is drawn from the BITNET List of Lists
available from Listserv@uga.cc.uga.edu.  I make no claims
whatsoever about these discussion lists' content or
applicability other than their titles sound like they have
something to do with systemic change in education!  I've
noted the discussion list names, the addresses (which
happen to all be bitnet addresses--if you have trouble
accessing them, contact me and I'll try to help you get
connected) and their main topic of discussion.  Good luck,
and let me know which ones pan out!

CL-NEWS   CL_NEWS@IUBVM       News on Teaching with
                              Collaborative Learning

EDTECPOL  EDTECPOL@UMDD       Conference on Educational
                              Technology Policy

EDTECH    EDTECH@MSU          EDTECH Educational Technology

EDNETNY   EDNETNY@SUVM        Educational Development Network
                              of NY

EDPOLYAN  EDPOLYAN@ASUACAD    Education Policy Analysis
                              Forum

EDSTYLE   EDSTYLE@SJUVM       The Learning Styles Theory and
                              Research List

EDUCATIONAL-R  ERL-L@ASUACAD  Educational Research List

EDUPAGE   EDUPAGE@BITNIC      EDUCOM EDUPAGE List

EDUTEL    EDUTEL@RPITSVM      Educational and Information
                              Technologies

EMD569-L  EMD569-L@NMSUVM1    Educational Management and
                              Development

SYSCI-L   SYSCI-L@UOTTAWA     System Science Discussion List

For more information, contact:
     Sharon Gray, Communications Officer
     University of South Dakota
     414 East Clark
     Vermillion, SD  57069
     (605) 677-5330
     FAX: (605) 677-6518
     Internet:  sgray@charlie.usd.edu

GOODMAN SAYS HARMONY SCHOOL IS VALUE-DRIVEN... IS THAT BAD?
>From IU News Bureau

Bloomington, Ind. -- After Indiana University education
Professor Jesse Goodman had immersed himself in an
innovative, independent school he wrote "Elementary
Schooling for Critical Democracy."  The book called on
schools to emphasize community ties and democratic values,
rather than to mirror a society caught up in individualistic
material gain.

"Then I started thinking that it's too bad that educators at
Harmony School, where I spent a year and learned so much,
were not involved in discussions with other educators and
policy makers about education," Goodman recalled.  He decided
to approach the leaders of Harmony School, a 19-year-old
independent school in Bloomington that emphasizes student
responsibility and community participation, with an idea to
form a consortium.

Goodman's notion was that there would be tremendous energy
for reform unleashed if public and independent school
teachers, administrators, parents, students and policy
makers entered into a conversation about meaningful changes.
Thus, the Harmony School Education Center was created to be
a catalyst for, and to provide a place for, school reform
discussions among teachers, administrators, policy makers
and researchers.  Although working closely with IU, the
center is based at Harmony School rather than at the
university.

The vision Harmony Center offers differs from other reform
efforts that are largely value-neutral, such as technology-
driven school reform.  "We do not believe reforming schools
can occur in a neutral way," Goodman said.  "All efforts to
reform schools reflect social or pedagogical values, either
overtly or covertly."  Goodman added, "The ideal we're
working toward is the reform of schools that will create a
more caring and democratic society."  "Unfortunately," he
said, "those values have been largely ignored in popular
school reform discourse.  We are trying to interject another
voice that stresses democracy in the discussion."

(Source: School Restructuring Consortium, 10-93)

SCHOOL RESTRUCTURING CONSORTIUM CREATES INFORMATION RESOURCE

The School Restructuring Consortium (SRC), dedicated to
facilitating systemic change in education, has met the
challenge of bringing education into the information age
with the creation of the SRCHeadlines to help educators
connect and collaborate for the goal of preparing learners
for the 21st Century.  You are invited to submit 20-line
items that share your current restructuring research or
activities, significant news items, or even a letter-to-
the-editor opinion on hot topics.  (Remember to include all
the essential citation elements, such as your name, etc.)
Some editing may occur in the interest of space and
propriety.  Full-length versions of the submitted stories
are kept on file as a resource for the members.
To make a contribution to SRCHeadlines or to subscribe to it, contact

        brownld@indiana.edu

======================================

NEW ELEMENTARY SCHOOL OFFERS THREE CLASSROOM FORMATS
>From News Release by Principal David Frye

Clear Creek Elementary serves the southern fringe of
Bloomington and the south central portion of Monroe County
in a new building which opened in 1990.  Clear Creek classes
are organized in three formats:

(1) Multi-age classrooms where children remain in a stable
     instructional environment with the same teacher and
     classmates for three years.  All multi-age classrooms
     are performance-based instructional programs.
(2) Same age, two-year primary classrooms offering a
     two-year primary program for children in their first
     two years of school.  Children enter the two-year
     primary as first year students, remain with the same
     classmates and teacher through the end of the second
     year of school.
(3) Same-age, self-contained classrooms grades 1-6 where
     children enter the class in the Fall and remain with
     the same classmates and teacher throughout the year.
     Children then are re-assigned to another teacher and
     group of children for the following school year.

The staff believe in teaching toward a child's strengths and
providing extra support in areas of weakness.  The schools'
purpose is to provide for all students a warm and supportive
environment and appropriate educational experiences which
will prepare children intellectually, socially, emotionally
and physically for a lifetime of continuous growing and
learning.

Their immediate goal is to build stronger family/school
connections and to develop an instructional program which
has clarity and consistency throughout the age levels of the
school. (Source: School Restructuring Consortium, 10-93)

=======================================

HSEC COMBINES FACULTY DEVELOPMENT, RESEARCH, PUBLIC POLICY
AND TEACHER EDUCATION

Harmony School Education Center (HSEC) formed in December,
1990, as a collaborative effort between Harmony School and
Indiana University. The mission of HSEC is to initiate and
support sweeping and substantive school reform by working
simultaneously in the areas of faculty development,
research, public policy and teacher education. HSEC includes
three components: Harmony School, the Institute for Research
and the Office for Outreach Services.  Harmony School, an
independent school located in Bloomington, Indiana, has
nineteen years of experience designing innovative K-12
programming and approaches to education through a shared
decision-making process that includes faculty, parents and
students.  The Center's Institute for Research, under the
direction of Dr. Jesse Goodman, chair of the Curriculum
Studies Program at Indiana University, supports and
disseminates scholarly investigations into a variety of
educational issues, problems and practices.   The Office for
Outreach Services, under the direction of Daniel Baron,
|works with administrators, teachers, policymakers, students
and parents to develop innovative programs and policies for
their local settings.  The collaboration among these three
components fosters creative, working solutions to the
complex challenges of educating today's young people.

For additional information, contact:
     Steve Bonchek, Executive Director
     Harmony School Education Center
     P.O. Box 178
     Bloomington, lN 47402
     (812) 334-8349

(Source: School Restructuring Consortium, 10-93)

=======================================

INDIANA NETWORK OF TOTAL LEARNING:  COMMUNITIES

INTLC was formed in 1992 by six Indiana elementary schools
committed to substantive educational reform and with visions
for expanding the definition of schooling.  The schools are
diverse in terms of their demographics, location, philosophy
and structure.

The network supports communication, collaboration and
program development among participants in these schools,
with other schools and with any interested groups or
individuals.  INTLC is a grassroots, practitioner-based
organization that interfaces with, but remains outside of
the conventional educational hierarchy.  The network
arranges inter-school visits for students and teachers,
publishes a quarterly newsletter and a yearly directory of
faculty and curricular resources, disseminates information
about opportunities available to teachers and new
developments in education, supports classroom teachers and
whole schools as they reflect on and change their practices,
and encourages dialogue on meaningful, real issues.  INTLC
offers an opportunity for people concerned with education to
come together informally and share their experiences and
resources.

For more information, contact:
     Julie Zimmer, Network Coordinator
     c/o INTLC
     P.O. Box 1787
     Bloomington,IN 47402
     (812)334-8379 or prism::Jzimmer

(Source: School Restructuring Consortium, 10-93)

=======================================

 CHANGE DIVISION BOARD OF DIRECTORS

     Mary Bigelow, Board Member
          sdf00021@11pptn.11.pbs.org
     Ed Caffarella, Secretary/Treasurer Elect
          ecaffare@dijkstra.univnorthco.edu
     Ali Carr, President Elect
          carr@umich.edu
     Dean Dyer, Communications Officer Elect
          dyer72@potsdam.edu
     Sharon Gray, Communications Officer
          sgray@charlie.usd.edu
     Atsusi Hirumi, Secretary/Treasurer
          hirumi@uh.ll.edu
     A. James Jones, Board Member
          ltcajj@aol.com
     Kyle Peck, Board Member
          p16@psuvm.psu.edu
     Charles Reigeluth, President
          reigelut@indiana.edu
     Dave Salisbury, Board Member
          dsalis@cet.fsu.edu

===============================

GETTING READY FOR ANAHEIM...

This is an exciting first year for the new CHANGE division.  We have
received over 35 proposals for concurrent sessions and 3 workshop proposals.
 Thanks to those of you who submitted proposals and to those of you willing
to review them for the division.  Our program at the upcoming '95 conference
promises to be full of wonderful information on systemic change.  In
addition we plan to take some time at the national convention to continue
dialoguing with members about what the division should be, how we should
operate and essentially to DESIGN the new division as a group.  Finally, we
hope to have opportunities to socialize and network with professionals in
systemic change throughout the week we share in LA.  We're looking forward
to seeing you all at the national convention!

newsletter, contact:

     Sharon Gray, Communications Officer
     University of South Dakota
     414 East Clark