Yesterday I attempted to post this message to the net.  I received a syntax
error message, and now I'm not sure that this hit message was posted.  So I
will send this message a second time.

Earlier this summer I posted the following message:
    We have a Macintosh multimedia station in the high school library that the
    students have used to play recreational compter games such as Tetrus and
    Lemmings.  They were enjoying this activity until the administration de-
    cided it was not appropriate.  What is your library policy concerning the
    use of recreational computer games?  Thank you for your input.

Thank you to all who responded, your responses were very helpful.
     6 school libraries have banned games.
     More librarians are considering changing their policy to a ban.
     3 librarians like the games.  Some restrict games to those with education
       al merit.
     3 librarians have recreational games available on limited access basis
       such as only on Friday or only before or after school.

Debbie Athanases wrote, "We  have a hard time maintaining a learning environmen
t as opposed to a lounge atmosphere.  A multimedia computer is an expensive
toy!  It seems as though it would be better used for instructional purposes...
I have found with games is that they tend to be disruptive, attracting crowds
of lookers-on."

Nupper stated, "Our games started out innocently enough.  We were using "Centur
ion" for the Latin students and world history students.  Then we added some
word games.  However, soon some enterprising students brought in some other
games...soon the library looked like a game room during lunch and after school.
Students 10-deep around the computers, cheering each other on.  So, we had to
ban all games.

Megan McGuire replied, "Kids today may enjoy games like tetrus, but wouldn't it
be more productive to have them fiddling with programming utilities, possibly
making their own games?  I had a blast creating a hypercard stack with the hype
rcard developers kit - I know it's not a game, but it has the same sense of
conquering a difficult task..."

Paty Jo Daisy responded, "Once in a while we do let a few games be played as a
reward."

Gail Szeliga stated, "NO GAMES -- computers are for research, multimedia pro-
ject production and word processing...Students use the mutimedia CD ROMs and
discover all their fascinating tricks.  Some that we use include:  ENCARTA, CNN
Newsroom, Time Almanac, Groliers Multimedia and Microsoft Bookshelf.  I also
think that allowing games communicates to students that the library media cen-
terr is the social center rather than the learning center of the school.

Virjean Griensewic wrote, "I strongly object to that idea!" (banning recreation
al computer games)  "In my media center we have ten Mac stations, and all of
them have the district-licensed products, such as Super Munchers, Number Munch-
ers, Amazon Trail, Oregon Trail, etc.  But--the kids love this...SIM City 2000,
Jeopardy! and Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego.  (The kids are 7th and
8th graders.)  They absolutely love the games and the place is packed every mor
ning for over an hour before school starts!  My principal is very technology-ad
vancing, and she thinks it's great.

I hope this helps all who asked for the hit to be sent to the entire net.

Joyce Otto

LM_NET Archive Home