>On:   Sat, 23 Jul 1994 09:57:55 +0930
>Russ Elwin writes,
>Subject: Suitable hardware for the provision of multi-media to a public library

My library committee has instructed me to find the requirements necessary to pro
vide multi-media to our clientele.  I have read widely on the subject, but thou
ght it wouldn't hurt to ask for advice from those who have experience.  The lit
erature says the hardware should be at a minimum a 486 DX-33 with 8mb RAM, inkj
t printer (for sound), double-spin CD ROM drive (at least) 14,400 baud modem.
Could anyone advise if this is acceptable, also although we have access to an
ever-increasing body of suppliers of CD ROM software, could I have an idea of w
hat to look for, or your suggestions as to the better suppliers?  I'm asking a
lot I know, but any advice would be appreciated.  Thank you in anticipation.  R
uss Elwin, Seymour Municipal Library, Victoria, Australia.  (Nexus ID relwin)
                    --------------------------------

        Russ, just to add a little detail to your above provision I would make
sure your double-speed drive is SCSI-2 and that you also purchase a min. 500MB
hard drive - this should be SCSI-2 also. That will give you maximum performance
and a good upgrade path as things change. Also you will need to make sure your
VGA video is at least 256k color and has min. 1MB memory.Also remember that
injet printers use a lot of ink for graphics I would consider a laser printer
or at the very least buying refill kits for the inkjet. The following is the
current Minimum MPC level 2 standard: a 486SX cpu 25 mhz, 4mb memory, s-vga
video, hard disk, double-speed CD-ROM, and 16bit sound card.
        If you plan to install lots of MPC stuff I would also add a 250mb
tape backup, there very cheap and it will allow you to backup Windows before
 you install the new software which always seems to involve some tinkering,

        Best of luck,

Don Shields
Mammoth Unified School District
(619) 934-6529