> >Russ Elwin writes,
> >Subject: Suitable hardware for the provision of multi-media to a public libra
 ry

     I think your proposed machine will be OK if you're only wanting
it for CD-ROM performance. If you're planning more serious stuff (MPEG,
etc..) I'd recommend more RAM (16 minimum) and a faster machine (a topline
DX or Pentium). Get a new 28.8 modem (make sure it has an upgrade option
to the new standard coming out very soon).

     What everybody was wondering about your weird use of an inkjet printer
(sound) was as clear as a bell to me... you need a quiet machine for the
library. Yes, they are quiet, but the laser printers are just as quiet and
much faster and more economical in the long run for consumables. Try an
Okidata or Hewlett Packard (expect to budget $650 for this).

     Of course a sound card is needed, but be careful about the CD-ROM you
pick. Some have huge device drivers that consume a lot of conventional memory.
I'd ask vendors about the size of the device driver (they can range from
20K to over 70K of conventional memory). another potential pitfall is
to make sure the CD-ROM will work with your sound card. Best bet...
get an integrated multimedia kit (Creative Labs is pretty good)...
the more bundled software (CD-ROM disks) the better.

     Don't forget you need a good set of headphones. Get a lightweight
pair for comfort and they can range in price from $25 on up (There is
a good cordless model called HB/500 for $99).

     What specific CD-ROM would I recommend (versus a package deal)? Well,
it depends on how much you want to spend. There is a quadruple spin by
Pioneer (DRM-604X) that holds seven CD-ROM disks and loads them automatically
when requested. Expensive though (over $1,400). Then there is the Toshiba
TXM-3401E (about $700) that is a double speed (runs faster than Chinon or
Sony 2x devices). It is pretty good and has several nice options included:
separate left/right audio jacks (needed to connect to sound card or you
might have to use the headphone jack outlet which can cause degraded
sound quality); also has a free SCSI adapter; and a multimedia magazine
on CD is included called Nautilus.

     Then there are a host of inexpensive drives running all the way from
$119 up to $250. You will get what you pay for though. For heavy use I
would stay away from the bargain basement items (no name-calling here lest
I get my heinie flamed from a satisfied user).

     Someone else at a high school asked for a top ten list of CD-ROMs
so I'll answer her and you at the same time:

         Unofficial Smith's Top Ten Guide to CD-ROM Disks

      1. Microsoft Bookshelf  $69
      2. Compton's Interactive Encylopedia  $99
      3. Microsoft Encarta   $89
      4. Print Deluxe Ensemble  $79
      5. From Alice to Ocean  $49  (Just right for Australia!)
      6. The San Diego Zoo Presents... The Animals $45
      7. Microsoft Office 4.2 for Windows  $475
      8. 1994 Guinness Multimedia Disc of Records  $29
      9. Groliers 1994 Multimedia Encyclopedia  $99
     10. Bodyworks 3.0  $49

     These are all current prices from CD-ROM Warehouse (1-800-237-6623)
No... I am not affiliated with them.. just giving their prices as a starting
point for people looking for disks. As always it pays to negotiate
with vendors for computer items. A lot of competition out there!

     Good Luck and I hope you get the system you wish for.

     Russell Smith
     rssmith@tenet.edu
     Educational Technologist

LM_NET Archive Home