On Fri, 22 Jul 1994, Anitra Gordon wrote:

> We're remodelling and the architect suggests not having the circulation desk b
>  the exit.  What do you think?

        The architect is correct.  The computer terminal for checkout
will interfer with your security system.  Make sure you can see and
control the exit from the circulation desk, but don't get too close.

> We'll be having about 15 computer stations.  Should they be in the main readin
> room? or in a room off the library, connected by glass panels?  Or some
> in each location?

        I'd sure want to be able to supervise them.  Probably depends
what they are used for .  Will they be part of the network?  A network is
much easier to control than standalones.

> How many computers (networked) should we have for 1000 students?

        As many as possible.  When a whole class gets in there it is
impossible to have enough workstations!

> What type of printer (s) do you suggest?  I understand ink jet refills are
> expensive.  Are they more expensive than laser cartridges?  We have IMB/clones
> I can always send items to laser printer in computer lab.  We'll be using
> CD encyclopedias and there is always a lot of printing.

        The inkjet cartridge is cheaper than the laser cartridge, but it
will only last a week or two with heavy printing.  I would suggest a
good, quiet, hard-to-jam dot matrix.  I would love laser, but usually
they are two expensive.  If you say you can send stuff to the computer
lab laser printer, does that mean you are networked with the lab and can
send it electronically?  Then you will have to think about how often you
will go to get stuff, can students print there, etc.
Can you fix it so only the librarian can send stuff to the laser printer
while students generally use the dot matrix printer on your network?
Back to the inkjet - we have one that we got for students who need to
make high-quality copies.  But you can't keep them from printing all
other stuff, too.  The cartridges are about $30.  You can get refill kits
for about $9.  Some people have not found them successful.  They have
been okay for us.  If you disregard the initial expense, the price per
copy is cheaper for laser printers than inkjet.

> We'll be having a "head-end" system for videos.  Any suggestions on location?
> Use? Problems?
        We had one that was not convenient to the location where we did
most of our work.  We would always forget to check it and we could not
monitor it.  This was a Channel One head-end unit.  I heard of someone -
perhaps on this list - whose school had installed a media management
system it wasn't even on the same floor as the library!  Just make sure
it is in a good location for you.

> Should I have the secretary work behind the circulation desk regularly on
> her non-circulation jobs?  Or continue to have her use her office which
> which is about 20 feet from the circulation desk (but has windows-real ones.)
> General suggestions?  ideas?  warnings?

        That probably depends on what works best for you.

> What are 10 best CD-ROMs for grades 9-12?  Thanks.

        SIRS, Newsbank, an encyclopedia, and a magazine index are
important to have.  We also have Masterplots, Granger's World of Poetry,
DISCovering Authors, Time Almanac, and the Career and Occupational
Information Network (COIN).

dianed@tenet.edu

LM_NET Archive Home