Hi everyone,
        Thanks so much for all the responses to the smart vs. dumb barcode
question.  To summarize : most people felt smart was the way to go
for the initial barcoding (for convenience as well as a way to
inventory) despite the acknowledged higher cost.  Dumb barcodes were
favored by many as fill-ins and for subsequent acquisitions.
Several people mentioned printing their own.  I am trying to append
the actual replies (a new technique for me) which I hope is
successful. If not, and someone would like a copy, send me your
snail-mail address and I will print one out for you.
        Thanks again,
                Linda Greengrass
Linda Greengrass
Bank Street College Library