I too am in a small school in Maryland (Darnestown E.S.), and I limit the
number of books students can take out.  Students are allowed to check
books out whenever the library is open as often as they like.  Are you
getting any flack?
We are automated, so it is easy to keep track of who has what book out.
Our magazines are not on the computer, however, so those get lost pretty
frequently.  One thing I have done is let the sixth graders check their
own books out on the computer, but this year there was a small problem
with that, and I will probably change my mind about next year.
Tamah Graber

LM_NET Archive Home