LM_NET: Library Media Networking

> From Johanna:
>  It occurred to me that if I could find other 'educational' comic books,
> I could have a selection of items acceptible to parents, teachers and
> administrators and also have something that 'reluctant readers' would be
> very eager to get.  Any sources?  Any suggestions?

High Noon Books
I have an 800 number somewhere.

I teach ESL these might be appropriate for your needs.  This is a cut
from a response I sent to another ESL teacher on a different list last month.

The books come in sets of 5 different titles, one copy of eac( fitle.
Each 5 book set is $15 and and are organized around a theme.  There
are several mystery sets, adventures, HORROR, westerns, multi-cultural, etc.
The fiction is divided into 1st grade equivalent reading level, 2nd
and 3rd.  Also notice that there is a set in each level every year
that are offered at the price of $60 for 5 sets (5 copies of 5 titles)
and 3rd.  Also notice that there is a set in each level every year
that are offered at the price of $60 for 5 sets (5 copies of 5 titles)
with the teacher's guide, some worksheets, etc. included.  I acquired
them for ESL classroom use and found this more cost effective.

Don't expect great
literature.  There are obviously several titles cranked out every
year with as little consideration for style as any mass produced
series.  But the topics and "feel" of the books are aimed at
ages ranging up to 15 years old or so, what in Special Ed are called
reluctant readers.  The company advertizes that they are also scaled
in grammar and simple tenses although from the samples I have seen
they don't seem exceptional that way.

Terry McDanel
Olson Elementary
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA