Subject: NCSA Mosaic for the Mac version 2.0

------------ Forwarded Message begins here ------------
Date: 3 Jun 1994 16:00:50 GMT
From: mmccool@void.ncsa.uiuc.edu (Mike McCool)
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.www

***  NCSA Mosaic for the Mac version 2.0:  Alpha release Friday, June 9

NCSA Mosaic for the Mac has recently undergone a major rewrite in order to
bring improved functionality and greater ease of use to our product.  Our
original schedule was to have it in testing within 6 months, and we have
kept to this schedule in our development.

We appreciate the public's patience in waiting for the new release, and hope
we will not disappoint you!  We have scheduled our next release for Friday,
June 9, and it will be considered an alpha release pending further feature
additions after that point.

Here is a list of features that we plan to have ready for this release:

1)  PowerMac native mode binary.
2)  HTML Forms support
3)  Additional HTML+ support including tables.
4)  Firewall proxy support including SOCKS support and standard gateway
     support.
5)  Improved user interface and functionality to the Styles dialog box.
6)  Improved user interface and functionality to the Prefs dialog box.
7)  The ability to type in the URL in the "Show URLs" window to load it.
8)  An HTTP Header mode, which downloads the HTTP header from a site in order
     to view its date, size, and type, which can help users on slow networks
     to decide if they wish to download it.
9)  ODOC event support, and Applescript Open URL support with the option to
     load to disk for easy scripting implementation.
10) Speech recognition on AV Macs, including forward, back, home, and any
     currently visible link, pending a system extension release from Apple.
     This extension will allow speech recognition on all PowerMacs and AV
     machines.
11) Improved hotlist interface supporting multiple hotlists, including
     specifying a hotlist directory, with quick and easy switching of
     hotlists.
12) Global history recording, with options to specify how the list is pruned,
     and a feature to have Mosaic dim the color of the link as it gets
     nearer to being pruned.
13) Strikethru, Superscript, and Subscript support.
14) New and improved pagination driver to bring MacMosaic closer to the
     functionality of XMosaic, to run faster, and to make addition of
     greater functionality easy and quick on developers. =)
15) General bug fixes and improvements.

Thanks for your continuing interest in NCSA Mosaic for the Macintosh!

--
Mike McCool                    mmccool@ncsa.uiuc.edu
NCSA Software Development Group, MacMosaic Developer

------------ Forwarded Message ends here ------------

Stephen E. Collins   http://www.micro.umn.edu/SEC.html
University of Minnesota      sec@boombox.micro.umn.edu
Distributed Computing Services          (612) 625-1300

"It's easy to come up with new ideas; the hard part is letting
go of what will soon be out-of-date."  -Roger von Oech

LM_NET Archive Home