THIS IS A FORWARDED MESSAGE.  PLEASE REPLY TO THE ORIGINATOR.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 1994 14:20:19 -0800
From: richer@island.com (Mark Richer)
Subject: Story Writing Contest For Kids

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE  CONTACT:

Julie Richer
Mountain Lake Software, Inc.
(800) 669-6574

Mountain Lake Software Announces Story Contest

SAN FRANCISCO, CA. June 2, 1994. Mountain Lake Software, Inc. announced today
that it is sponsoring a story-writing contest for young people ages 7 to
16. "Our goal is to foster kids' creativity and to provide fun ways for
them to practice their writing skills," said Julie Richer, president of
Mountain Lake Software. "This is why we are sponsoring a writing contest
and why we developed our latest product, Story Artist Kit."

How to Enter the Contest

To enter, contestants must attach an official entry form to an original
story and submit it to the address below by August 31, 1994. The winners
will be notified by October 15. Contestants must be residents of the U.S.
or Canada and must be age 7 to 16. Only one entry per author may be
submitted. To qualify, a story may be no more than 20 pages on paper that
is 8-1/2" x 11" or smaller, it must be in English, and it must contain at
least two illustrations (original artwork or illustrations from Story
Artist Kit may be used). Illustrations must be in color (the use of
crayons, colored pencils, paint, markers or a color printer are all
acceptable). Handwritten entries are acceptable as long as they are
legible. No purchase or entry fee is required to enter the contest. For
more information or to obtain an official entry form, contact:
  Mountain Lake Software, Inc.
  298 Fourth Avenue, Box 401
  San Francisco, CA 94118
  Telephone: 800-669-6574 (U.S./Canada), Fax: 415-752-6506
  richer@island.com (Mark Richer) or mtlake@applelink.apple.com

About the Prizes

Prizes for the best stories will be offered for three age groups, ages
7-10, 11-13 and 14-16.

One First Prize winner in each age group will receive:

*  A new HP DeskWriter 560C printer (suggested retail price $719)
  The HP DeskWriter 560C is an inkjet printer which prints in black and
grayscale at 600 x 300 dpi resolution and provides 300 x 300 dpi resolution
for color output. "When considering prizes for the contest, I immediately
thought of Hewlett-Packard's DeskWriter, because when my kids color their
illustrations with Story Artist, the DeskWriter we have at home provides a
great way for them to print their pictures in color," said Richer. The
printer features a built-in sheet feeder, an automatic envelope sensor, and
AppleTalk and serial interfaces. One of the advantages the DeskWriter 560C
has over other color printers is that both the black and color cartridges
reside in the printer at the same time, so there is no need to switch
cartridges back and forth. The printer comes with 35 TrueType scalable
fonts and a three-year warranty.

Two Second Prize winners in each age group will receive each of the following:

*  Story Artist Kit (suggested retail price $49)
  Story Artist Kit is a collection of over 90 background scenes and
characters from the themes Arabian Nights, Transylvania, and Ancient Egypt.
The package includes Story Artist, a color paint program which allows
students to copy characters and position them on the background they
choose, then color the illustrations using the color paint tools provided;
kids can also use the program to create their own artwork. The kit also
comes with three fonts, Aladdin, Dracula and an Egyptian hieroglyphic font
called Cleopatra.

*  QuickStudy (suggested retail price $69.95)
  QuickStudy is a program that enables students to test themselves with
  their Macintosh.

*  School Font Collection (suggested retail price $49)
  School Font Collection is a group of fonts designed to look like
  hand-printed and cursive writing:

Three Third Prize winners per age group will receive their choice of one of
these:
*  Story Artist Kit
*  QuickStudy
*  School Font Collection

About Mountain Lake Software

Mountain Lake Software, headquartered in San Francisco, CA was founded in
April, 1987, by Mark and Julie Richer, both former teachers with Master's
degrees in education. The company develops quality Macintosh software for
educators and students. In addition to Story Artist Kit, Mountain Lake
developed MakeTest, a popular test-making program, School Font Collection
(the handwriting fonts shown above), and MathMaker Fonts (a set of fonts
for typing math equations).

Mark Richer         Island Graphics, San Rafael, CA, USA
richer@island.com   (415) 491-1000 x2167

LM_NET Archive Home