Gail M. Szeliga (ny000999@MAIL.NYSER.NET) wrote:
: Regarding SIRS article reprints (SOCIAL ISSUES RESOURCE SERIES):

: We find SIRS to be a valuable source for our high school students and
: have been subscribing for many years.  I would just like to informally
: poll other subscribers to ask:

: What do you do when most of the volumes articles are out of date, for
: example a 1983 copyright date pertaining to the drinking age in the
: Alcohol volume?

: Do your discard the entire volume or weed the out of date articles?
: How do you then handle the indexing?

: Do you have the volumes out in the open so students can browse the
: contents or do they have to request copies at a periodical desk after
: checking the index?
: ----------------------------------------------------------------------
: (We probably are one of the few schools that have SIRS binders out in
: the open for students to browse.  I feel that the benefits outweigh the
: disadvantages of this system as I see students actually interested in
: many of these articles.  These articles are also great for narrowing a
: very general topic such as *drugs* or *sports*!  This is one of the reasons
: I do not subscribe to the full text SIRS on CD ROM, I would miss the benefits
 of
: hands-on browsing by our students.)
: -----------------------------------------------------------------------
: Finally .......

: Do you subscribe to just the print articles, the CD Index and print
: articles, the full text CD and print articles or only the full text CD?
: Could you give me a rationale for your choice with your answer?

: I just thought of another question....

: Do you subscribe to CQ Researcher?  It is excellent source of research
: reports on "hot topics".  I found many librarians do not know about it.
: It is one of our most valuable sources.

: Thanks for your time.  I will post a HIT if there is interest.  Please
: respond to me directly.

: Gail Szeliga (ny000999@mail.nyser.net)
: Union Endicott High School
: Endicott, NY