>      Here are a few math lists. I thought others might be interested
> so I posted these. I got them by issuing a Global command to a listserv
> <LISTSERV@UIUCVMD> and running a search for the word math in my word
> processor (there are thousands of listservs).

[deleted]
 .

> So to get the listserv address you must write a nice message to the List
> address I have here and ask for the listserv address. If someone knows
> where to get all the listserv addresses to correspond with the list
> names I am all ears. hint! hint! I am sure that info is out there somewhere
> in the morass.
>
> Anyway maybe this will help some:
>
> Cheers,
>
> Russell Smith
> rssmith@tenet.edu
>

> List Name    List Address         Description
>
> FAM-MATH   FAM-MATH@UICVM         FAMILY MATH

Russell,

These are BITNET lists.  You can assume bitnet style addressing for
"listserv".  I've had good results substituting the name: listserv
for the list name.  Set up your request like this:

listserv%machine.bitnet@bitnetgateway

for the fam-math it would be:

listserv%uicvm.bitnet@<<gateway>>

The gateways are bitnet to internet gateway sites.  The one I use is
cunyvm.cuny.edu.  There are others scattered around the country. The
return message acknowledging your subscription may give an internet
address for the listserv.

Lists that don't use listserv won't be in that list.  If you retrieve
a list of lists such as the Kovacs list, specific subscription
instructions are usually given for each mailing list.

A very good book explaining mailing lists and conventions is
"Internet: Mailing lists" from PTR Prentice Hall.  It should be
available in any major bookstore: Walden, B.Dalton, Brentanos, etc.

Dan Robinson
dan@info.hwwilson.com

LM_NET Archive Home