On Fri, 24 Jun 1994 AMITY@yalevm.ycc.yale.edu wrote:

> Russ - thanks for the address for WWII list. How did you find it? Can you
> recommend where I can find addresses for the other listservs you mentioned. I
> assume they are all different!
>
>                               Toby Z

Toby: I guess I'll post this answer to help others.

To all interested parties on LM_NET who want to join new listservs
from the list names I posted for Social Studies, Math, etc..

Toby wrote and asked how I was able to get the World War II listserv
address using just the list name. Dan had the best advice I have received
for doing this... read on.

Toby Z: This was Dan's response to my first posting...
see my
comment below his for how I interpreted his directions.

> List Name    List Address         Description
>
> FAM-MATH   FAM-MATH@UICVM         FAMILY MATH
>

>Russell,

>These are BITNET lists.  You can assume bitnet style addressing for
>"listserv".  I've had good results substituting the name: listserv
>for the list name.  Set up your request like this:

>listserv%machine.bitnet@bitnetgateway

>for the fam-math it would be:

>listserv%uicvm.bitnet@<<gateway>>

>The gateways are bitnet to internet gateway sites.  The one I use is
>cunyvm.cuny.edu.  There are others scattered around the country. The
>return message acknowledging your subscription may give an internet
>address for the listserv.

>Lists that don't use listserv won't be in that list.  If you retrieve
>a list of lists such as the Kovacs list, specific subscription
>instructions are usually given for each mailing list.

>A very good book explaining mailing lists and conventions is
>"Internet: Mailing lists" from PTR Prentice Hall.  It should be
>available in any major bookstore: Walden, B.Dalton, Brentanos, etc.

>Dan Robinson
>dan@info.hwwilson.com

Toby: I took the WWII-L@UBVM and tried two different ways to get subscribed
(both worked). I just put this down first:

listserv%

Then I added the UBVM after the @ on WWII-L@UBVM

so now I had: listserv%UBVM

Then I added .bitnet   so now I had: listserv%UBVM.bitnet

Then I chose a "gateway" as Dan calls them: I used two differnt ones:
cunyvm.cuny.edu (the one Dan uses) and suvm.acs.syr.edu (the one I use a lot).

So then I sent off the SUB WWII-L Russell Smith message to two places
just as an experiment: the addresses I used were from the steps I just
described:

listserv%UBVM.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu

listserv%UBVM.bitnet@suvm.acs.syr.edu

Both messages hit home and I learned the real listserv address (listserv
@UBVM.CC.BUFFALO.edu) when the messages acknowledging my subscription
returned to me (maybe five minutes later).

So as an experiment let's look at another one from the Social Studies
list I posted: the Civil War list name of H-CIVWAR@UICVM

I look at it and assign this address to try as a subscription:

listserv%uicvm.bitnet@suvm.acs.syr.edu

In the Body write: SUB H-CIVWAR Yourfirstname Yourlastname

so for me it would be: SUB H-CIVWAR Russell Smith

Send it and see if it works.

Try this technique for all the other lists I posted that you might
be interested in.

I know it might seem complicated to go to all this command line stuff...
but the rewards of a good discussion group are worth it!i

Note that some of these listservs are picky about who they let in.. you
might have to have something they want (skills, knowledge.. who knows?)
before you can join. Ah, elitism rears its ugly head!

Also usually typos will screw up your mail more than anything... watch
how you spell those addresses! DOS and the eight-letter commands look
meek compared to this UNIX routing! Mosaic... can you save us?

Cheers,

Russell Smith
rssmith@tnet.edu

LM_NET Archive Home