Hi,
As many of you know I just got my first job.  I've been working diligently to
set up and get to know my library.  Sometimes I even get to talk to parents and
teachers who are also there over the summer.  It's an EC-5th grade elementary
school of between 400 and 500 students. Several teachers feel that if they
request something, no one else should be allowed to use it.  I feel that library
materials are purchased to avoid duplication.  For example, if all of the second
grade teachers plan on using a particular video it makes more sense for the
library to buy it than for each of them to have their own personal copy.  I feel
that if they aren't willing to share, then they should purchase it out of their
own budget.  I'm willing to be convinced otherwise if there are any LMS out
there who feel I'm way off base.  Next question is if you agree with the above
attitude, how would you go about changing things - I would like to to have a
positive relationship with the teachers and from the limited discussion I had
with one of them today it seems like a sensitive topic.

By the way, since I know you read all the postings I'm going to take this
opportunity to thank Judy Goswitz for inviting me to go on a tour of her school
district.  It was very informative, inspirational, and fun.  I hope my district
is running half as well in years to come.  (From the looks of it many years to
come)

Thanks all,
Megan McGuire@macc.wisc.edu

LM_NET Archive Home