I do think The Giver is more of a risk for Lois Lowry and proves her breadth as
an author.  From Anastasia to a dark vision of the future is a jump.  However, I
dont think Giver is my favorite book by her.  I found it fascinating in some
ways, but rather cold.  The ending left me dangling, if not indeed puzzled.  Its
not one of those rare books I closed up at the end and said "wow".  Personally I
prefer Number the Stars which I think is intended for a  younger audience than
the Giver.  While I can approve of the Newbery Committee's choice, I dont
necessarily agree with it.  I liked Baby by MacLachan better, but no sour
grapes.  :-)

Janet Rawdon

RawdonJ@a1.mec.mass.edu

LM_NET Archive Home