You are absolutely right, Diane--but there is a flip side...
Perhaps the reason the profession has such difficulty with teachers and
flexible scheduling is that teachers are left with the belief that both
approaches are compatible: you take my class, give me a break, and I can
still send kids to the resource center whenever I feel like it. Again the
flip side: what teacher would ever accept the teaching of a class and
continual interruptions by other kids wandering in and interrupting and
looking for assistance and using resources etc.? Or aren't we really teaching?
As Pogo said...

Ken

Ken Haycock
School of Library, Archival and Information Studies
The University of British Columbia
831-1956 Main Mall, Vancouver, BC  V6T 1Z1
Voice: 604-822-4991  Fax: 604-822-6006
Internet: haycock@unixg.ubc.ca

                Preparing Professionals to Exercise Leadership in
                Planning, Implementing and Promoting the
                Preservation, Organization and Effective Use of
                Society's Recorded Information and Ideas

On Tue, 1 Mar 1994, Diane Durbin wrote:

> One thing I have always wanted to do is get all my library aides together
> and march them down to a teacher's class, say an English teacher.  Then I
> would knock on the door and say, "Excuse me, Mrs. ____, my students need a
> lesson on direct objects.  Will you just take a few minutes to go over
> that with them?"

LM_NET Archive Home