Like Pam, I think NUMBER THE STARS is just ok, there are several books
on the Holocaust with more power and depth.  HOWEVER, my  5th grade
teachers will read this one to their classes.  In fact, they have a
classroom set.  This has led to much more interest and knowledge on
the part of our very urban students.  It's very difficult to get
them interested in any historical fiction or indeed anything except
Sports, Rap, Video Games and gangs.  So this is a real plus for
STARS.  I have been able to captilize on this interest with a
Multicultural Picture book unit using such books as THE BICYCLE
MAN and CHICKEN SUNDAY to help at least some of our kids see things
from the point-of-view of others.

BTW my personal favorite Lowry title is RABBLE STARKEY.

PAULA NEALE
MOHMIE@delphi.com

LM_NET Archive Home